Close

Page 277 of 411 FirstFirst ... 177227267275276277278279287327377 ... LastLast
Results 2,761 to 2,770 of 4110
    Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by jfkansas View Post
    Very dangerous, not recommended.
    "Do not look directly into laser with remaining eye..." Yeah, I did laser light shows 40 years ago for the larger planetariums, a 5W laser is a very dangerous instrument.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveB View Post
    "Do not look directly into laser with remaining eye..." Yeah, I did laser light shows 40 years ago for the larger planetariums, a 5W laser is a very dangerous instrument.
    Lol, you're certainly right. I've already gone through a hobby phase with 445nm diodes back when 1w was about the max you could (somewhat) readily find. Geez now it looks like those are easy to buy in a fully built pointer. Anyways that makes me an expert in no way but at least I'm familiar with all the lectures and scary stories.

5w is probably the max power that will fit on the gantry from a practical form factor perspective. I guess I'll continue to browse around the web and see what's out there.

I've seen some implementations of this, but they were for the FFCP or Makerbot I think. One of them that looked interesting to me shot the laser between the extruders. The SS lasers are around $200-$250 for the 2.5 to 5.5 Watt range with their housing, electronics and wall wart PS (if the optical power numbers can be believed). They can cut balsa wood if it's thin enough. Meh... I think I'd want to use one outside, or have a really strong exhaust system set up. Not an option for me right now.
    Interesting, I'll check these out. Would definitely have to vent outside even for balsa. Not really keen on cutting lexan or anything like that... seems too much of a setup for a family man. That would have been something to take on in my single days :P

Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by suds View Post
    Interesting, I'll check these out. Would definitely have to vent outside even for balsa. Not really keen on cutting lexan or anything like that... seems too much of a setup for a family man. That would have been something to take on in my single days :P
    Here's a few:

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:765518
    http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:770634
    http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:155566
    http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:999486

Well, to be perfectly honest, it looks like I can more easily and probably more cheaply purchase a 3 axis cnc kit from china before I retrofit a half decent laser toolhead into the QIDI. Realistically the CNC would only work on wood/plastic/pcb, which still probably outperforms let's say a 5W laser diode for my needs not to mention the extra axis.

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...q=2418+cnc+kit

240 x 180 x 45 mm working area, and just a smidgen more real estate on my workbench.
    That's probably far enough off topic for today.

Super Moderator
    Thanks, I had that in the summary and edited it out after I posted. Didn't think it would show up as a depression on both pieces. Then wondered if it somehow might. LOL

UPDATE: I am printing this again and only one this time and the "shadow" depression is still there from the first layer. I measured and it is the exact dimension of the hole in the middle. See the image and how it lines up. I have no idea why unless the mesh has become corrupted.

[IMG][/IMG]

Super Moderator
    Add jfkansas on Thingiverse
    Some video of it printing that area might help too. Is the second nozzle heated?

Super Moderator
    Some video of it printing that area might help too. Is the second nozzle heated?

It looks like it is the nozzle doing it. When this print finishes I am going to shim it again and see. I measured the distance between the nozzles and it is exact to the "shadow". These nozzles are so smooth they leave no trace of a contact scar.

Super Moderator
    Add jfkansas on Thingiverse
    Is the other nozzle heated even though it isn't extruding?

Super Moderator
    Is the other nozzle heated even though it isn't extruding?

No, left is at 195 and right at 53. I am still shimming it up on the left!! I am almost there.

Page 277 of 411 FirstFirst ... 177227267275276277278279287327377 ... LastLast