- What is the most interesting thing you have seen done with a 3D printer or 3D printing technology?
I think the most wonderful thing I've seen done with a 3D printer is creating prosthetic devices for children in Sudan. This Project Daniel/Not Impossible video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDYFMgrjeLg) was shown at a teaching/education workshop I attended. In the story 3D printing is used to help a boy in Sudan who has had both arm amputated as a result of the war. Once he learns to use his 3D printed prosthetic arm, he uses the printer to print arms for other people, and the whole neighborhood begins to benefit. Sometimes 3D printing applications can seem far off/futuristic. This was a real life, actual application that took advantage of the fact that 3D printers can print customized sizes and shapes for fast turn around and trouble shooting for low cost.

- If you could build your dream 3D printer, what would it include and what would it do? Let your imagination run wild!
If I could build my dream 3D printer it would be specially equipped for bioprinting cells and living tissues. It would have humidity control, temperature control, and it could be programed to be 'self sterilizing' after each print/print job. Almost like a 3D printing glove box or biological safety cabinet. To be self sterilizing and withstand the humidity the electronics might have to be specially compartmentalized. It would be the ultimate multi-material printer, capable of: fused deposition filament modeling-type printing with carbohydrate glass; extrusion printing with hydrogels; and a compartmentalized bath and laser steriolithography function. It would be used to make tissue engineered living replacements/prosthetics.