Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
sebastien only thinks in industrial terms.
And anecdotal evidence is basically someone saying: 'it's not as strong, but I've never actually tested more than a couple types of material' :-)

It depends ENTIRELY on the part and how it's made and what's it's for.

my personal experience is that - done right - printed parts can be a lot stronger and more durable than injection moulded parts - assuming you could get an injection moulded part with a solid skin and variable patteren non-solid matrix interior - which of course you can't :-)
This is based on my replacing injection moulded parts that break a lot with my on designed printed parts that don't break anywhere near as much. Also anecdotal.

Comparing like with like is nearly impossible.

Also different materials have different properties - so again, there is no actual comparison available.
for example you can't compare an injection moulded part made from abs to a 3d printed part made from nylon (mymat nylon is best ;-)
The nylon part will be stronger.

Also solid injection moulded parts will crack and shatter - 3d printed parts won't do so to anywhere near the same degree. This is because shockwaves don't propagate through a mesh infill anywhere nears as well as they do through a solid part.

At the end of the day what matters is that 3d printed parts are very strong, not directly comparable to injection moulded parts and the clincher is that anyone can have a3d printer on their desk, almost no-one has an injection moulder.
Work with what you have, and don't waste time wondering if it's as good as something made with an entirely different process. and material.

Now if you're making something to apply makeup you will probably be best using an antibacterial filament.
http://www.wedo3dprinting.uk/filamen...-filament.html
You lot are much smarter than I, that is certain! I tend to be on the more aesthetic side of the spectrum, but do love to learn the mechanical aspects of things, as I seem to be learning something obviously new!
cool filament, I wonder if it is resistant to acetone attack? will need to look into this.