Close

Threaded View

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    love the printer. Whenever a print works it works perfectly.

Hate the makerbot software. Just zero layer control and oh, so many other things it won't do.

My problems are simply getting things to stick to anything without a raft. Not sure if it's me or the software.
    for the vast majority of prints - rafts are just not suitable as removing prints from them can be nigh on impossible.

What annoys me is the raft prints nice and slow with slightly extra extrusion. But the makwerware software doesn't give me any options to set the same settings for my first layers without raft.

It's extremely annoying.
    I know the printer will print at 15cms - I accidentally set it on that for a large cone (the only things I've succesfully printed and removed from a raft). But in order to get anything to stick to anything without a raft, I have to use really really slow print settings and cross my fingers.

So yep - thoroughly recommend the printer (got a creator x dual head) but just a shame they ripped off makerbot and not ultimaker. As cura is the software I really want to use.

I'll get there :-)

Here's what the machine can do when you get lucky. 0.2mm z resolution, 40mms speed.

pillshape_800x524.jpg

An almost perfect heartbox.

heartshape_578x600.jpg

This is how it came out of the printer. No stringing, perfect bridging. Just a slight curl at the point of the heart. I had to cut about 3 mm to release the central hinge. But otherwise about as good as you could hope for.

open_578x600.jpg

I haven't managed to get anything to stick to kapton since.
    That said I haven't really had much time to sit down and seriously tune the beast. But just knowing if I can get the first couple layers to stick to the print bed, I can print anything - no matter how complex - is a real comfort. Great printer, lousy software. But I'm working on that :-)
    Last edited by curious aardvark; 07-28-2014 at 07:01 AM.