Close

Threaded View

Technician
    Well, my KnP came yesterday evening and it looked good. I got this because it was a screaming deal and thought it'd be a good way to be ready to print several colors without having to change the filament spool on my Qidi XOne single every time.

As noted it had a small test print left behind and a strange small Kapton tape square that was smaller than the 150x150 build area. Not sure what that is all about. I removed it as I plan to use a glass plate.

Assembly was easy, installing the extruders, filament tubes and spools took maybe 15 minutes. But... Houston we have a problem. When I fired it up the screen came on, then went out. Cycled the power switch and came back on. Hmmm... I installed the filaments into the extruders following the online manual (preheat, feed filament until it extrudes), no problem. But now the machine will not power up at all. Nuthin', no lights, no noises... nuthin'. I pulled the cover plate from the bottom to look for a fuse... didn't find one or see any obvious problem. I have started a support ticket online and will call them tomorrow.

Also, a question for CA... Simplify3D does not have a selection for the KnP in the configuration dropdown. I went to the KnP website and it had a .fff configuration file set available for download. I did that and imported it into S3D and those choices are available in the print process configuration menu, but not in the overall device configuration manager drop down. Is this the way this is supposed to work? Just curious why S3D doesn't have a KnP config setting in the device drop down like for my Qidi. I thought S3D was supposed to be pretty much universally compatible. I haven't had the chance to try this for a test print yet because the printer doesn't fire up.

And for other folks thinking about the KnP realize you need to do another step to convert the gcode from your slicer to x3g. KnP provides a free converter but this is a minor PITA.... more files to manage and more file clutter. Not sure why they can't or just didn't make the firmware able to recognize and work with straight gcode.
    Last edited by raylo32; 09-24-2017 at 08:58 AM.