Close

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

How is it compared to the knp3d?

Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by eligri View Post
    How is it compared to the knp3d?
    Knp3d is a dual extruder machine. Down side is it uses 8mm Z-Axis rods which can make the platform a bit loose. It does not have a front door, so a hood and front door w/b needed for use w/ ABS.
    QiDi X-One2 is a single extruder machine. 10mm Z-Axis rods, Not sure if it has a hood or not.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    Platform on my knp is anything but loose.
    How would the size of the screw effect that ?

Other than that - yep.

Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    Platform on my knp is anything but loose.
    How would the size of the screw effect that ?

Other than that - yep.
    Not the screw, the rods. They are a component with a major impact upon the build platform's rigidity. Larger dia Z-Axis rods (10-12mm) are more rigid, provide more surface for the (also larger) Z-Axis bearings to grab, and will not flex / sag to the same degree. I have an early version of the QiDi Tech 1. It originally came w/ 8mm rods, and when small zig-zag patterns were printed the build platform would occasionally resonate and shimmy back and forth with the extruder's motion. The extruder's X-Axis motion seemed particularly easily coupled into the build platfporm. I replaced the Z-Axis rods & bearings w/ 10mm dia and shifted to a carbon fiber print platform. No more shimmy, reduced reflection ripples in prints, and even better, I only RARELY have to re-level the platform. Here is a link for a similar upgrade kit. http://store.wmdproducts.com/index.p...&product_id=67

Technician
    Damn you guys... I've just gone and picked up one of these, too. The price was too good to pass up. as far as the 3 points vs 4 all I have experience with is my Qidi X One 3-point leveling and it is very easy and seems to be very accurate.

Anyone concerned about the fact that this is a fire sale and likely no parts or support in the future? This appears to be a really good deal, but I am a novice and concerned about the lack of information on this printer. It says Windows/Mac OS. Does the Mac OS or Windows level matter? Maybe I missed the spec sheet.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    both flashprint (best free slicer for the knp - select creator pro) and simplify 3d (best commercial slicer) work on both windows and macs - so no problem with compatibility.

As far as parts go - it's based on the original makerbot replicator dual. Probably the most copied 3d printer ever.
    As such, compatible parts are easy to get.

No clue on what mac os you need - but windows 7 on up is fine.
    Did some work for a customer on a mac recently.
    What a piece of junk !
    Had to update it to latest os - jeezusss, horrendous. How you people put up with it is beyond me :-)
    What's with the one button mouse ?
    Scrolling in windows would have me putting a hammer through it inside a day. Scroll bars show up when they feel like it, no alternative for scrolling. You get the feeling whoever wrote the os - does not use it.
    If you want a non-windows 10 machine, go linux - definitely NOT apple.
    Last edited by curious aardvark; 09-22-2017 at 10:39 AM.

Thanks, appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    both flashprint (best free slicer for the knp - select creator pro) and simplify 3d (best commercial slicer) work on both windows and macs - so no problem with compatibility.

As far as parts go - it's based on the original makerbot replicator dual. Probably the most copied 3d printer ever.
    As such, compatible parts are easy to get.

No clue on what mac os you need - but windows 7 on up is fine.
    Did some work for a customer on a mac recently.
    What a piece of junk !
    Had to update it to latest os - jeezusss, horrendous. How you people put up with it is beyond me :-)
    What's with the one button mouse ?
    Scrolling in windows would have me putting a hammer through it inside a day. Scroll bars show up when they feel like it, no alternative for scrolling. You get the feeling whoever wrote the os - does not use it.
    If you want a non-windows 10 machine, go linux - definitely NOT apple.

Technician
    Well, my KnP came yesterday evening and it looked good. I got this because it was a screaming deal and thought it'd be a good way to be ready to print several colors without having to change the filament spool on my Qidi XOne single every time.

As noted it had a small test print left behind and a strange small Kapton tape square that was smaller than the 150x150 build area. Not sure what that is all about. I removed it as I plan to use a glass plate.

Assembly was easy, installing the extruders, filament tubes and spools took maybe 15 minutes. But... Houston we have a problem. When I fired it up the screen came on, then went out. Cycled the power switch and came back on. Hmmm... I installed the filaments into the extruders following the online manual (preheat, feed filament until it extrudes), no problem. But now the machine will not power up at all. Nuthin', no lights, no noises... nuthin'. I pulled the cover plate from the bottom to look for a fuse... didn't find one or see any obvious problem. I have started a support ticket online and will call them tomorrow.

Also, a question for CA... Simplify3D does not have a selection for the KnP in the configuration dropdown. I went to the KnP website and it had a .fff configuration file set available for download. I did that and imported it into S3D and those choices are available in the print process configuration menu, but not in the overall device configuration manager drop down. Is this the way this is supposed to work? Just curious why S3D doesn't have a KnP config setting in the device drop down like for my Qidi. I thought S3D was supposed to be pretty much universally compatible. I haven't had the chance to try this for a test print yet because the printer doesn't fire up.

And for other folks thinking about the KnP realize you need to do another step to convert the gcode from your slicer to x3g. KnP provides a free converter but this is a minor PITA.... more files to manage and more file clutter. Not sure why they can't or just didn't make the firmware able to recognize and work with straight gcode.
    Last edited by raylo32; 09-24-2017 at 08:58 AM.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast