Hi,

I have grown increasingly interested in 3D Printing and the ways it can develop into a hobby and prototyping ideas at home. I have some computing and programming experience, but I lack knowledge in this area. I have tried to read as much as I can on the subject, hardware specs, software, firmware. I understand on an abstract level the variations in spec but I don't have the experience to make a judgement on which machine would be right for maintenance, performance Vs cost, build quality, durability and other aspects only known to those who have handled these machines for years.

I am hoping to first make small decorative objects to learn how to use the CAD software, perform maintenance on the printer and learn how to troubleshoot problems. I would then move onto making more functional objects; cogs, wheels, pulleys and clock parts and then move onto something larger and custom to my desires.

So I'm looking for a machine that can transition as my projects change in design and complexity, while being easy to use and maintain. I would like to be able to make quick repairs and improve the hardware of the machine myself and not have proprietary parts.

I have looked into using the RepRap Mendel, but many have criticized the issues of an unstable frame and difficultly in changing the motors. I have also seen some on kickstarter and another type called a 3d delta printer which I think is quite good. But I would need some online community to help me understand how to use, upgrade and maintain it.

Are there more user friendly printers out there for around 400 - 600 pounds that would fit my need?

Any help or advice would be great.