Close

Choosing the right printer for a beginner

Hi,

I have grown increasingly interested in 3D Printing and the ways it can develop into a hobby and prototyping ideas at home. I have some computing and programming experience, but I lack knowledge in this area. I have tried to read as much as I can on the subject, hardware specs, software, firmware. I understand on an abstract level the variations in spec but I don't have the experience to make a judgement on which machine would be right for maintenance, performance Vs cost, build quality, durability and other aspects only known to those who have handled these machines for years.

I am hoping to first make small decorative objects to learn how to use the CAD software, perform maintenance on the printer and learn how to troubleshoot problems. I would then move onto making more functional objects; cogs, wheels, pulleys and clock parts and then move onto something larger and custom to my desires.

So I'm looking for a machine that can transition as my projects change in design and complexity, while being easy to use and maintain. I would like to be able to make quick repairs and improve the hardware of the machine myself and not have proprietary parts.

I have looked into using the RepRap Mendel, but many have criticized the issues of an unstable frame and difficultly in changing the motors. I have also seen some on kickstarter and another type called a 3d delta printer which I think is quite good. But I would need some online community to help me understand how to use, upgrade and maintain it.

Are there more user friendly printers out there for around 400 - 600 pounds that would fit my need?

Any help or advice would be great.

Im like you, and pondering to buy and build a Velleman k8200 Kit.... I dont know what you think but try to take a look if you want.

I think the choices and variety can be overwhelming as the separation of function isn't really explained. The 3D printer you recommended is sold here in the UK at

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/velleman-k...nter-kit-n82qg

it kind of looks very similar to a reprap Prusa Mendel i3 found here

http://reprap.org/wiki/Prusa_i3

Perhaps they are the same? Not sure, but I have become more intrigued with the delta printer, it looks more stable and since there are fewer pieces perhaps easier to maintain? I found one on ebay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Folger-Tec...item4d28cf84b7

One thing I don't understand is the electronics, does each device have a unified electronics core and then calibrated to each machine or what? How would one upgrade the electronics?

Technologist
    Follow RAMTechRob On Twitter
    SeeMeCNC Delta Orion is a great kit for the beginer. ANd they have an excellent online help forum.

SeeMeCNC Delta Orion is a little over my budget. I went to the eMaker shop and I just dived in and bought a Prusa i3 printer instead. It's 4 axis printer and it is opensource so it' a lot easier to maintain, hopefully.

I hope other would find this post useful.

Have you looked at Amazon.com? If anything Amazon will hellp alot in the currency department of life. Word of note. AVOID the Davinci XYZ!!!!!!! Make Magazine ranked it as #24 (25 is the worst)

PrintRbot was #2 a year ago and I dont know where they are now with their all metal printers.

Ultimaker was #1 and I dont know as my knowledge is a year old (dont have the money to buy the magazine yet). Yet the Ultimaker may be out of your pricerange.

There are alot of other good printers out there, mostly around the $900 - $1500 USD range. The one I am looking to buy in less than two months will be the PrintRbot Metal Plus at $999 (no heated bed or dual printer, can be added later) with a build area of 254 x 254 x 254. I was going to get the Simple Metal, yet the add ons and what not I may as well get the Metal Plus.