Close

Hybrid View

Hi All

Have printed the main extruder block. It came out pretty well.

I assume we're meant to drill through the bottom where the filament comes out to allow it to go into the hot end.

Maybe I should have also printed it with support (or print cooling) as the 2 recessed areas where the hot ends go aren't so flat due to the bridging it had to do.

Has anyone else had a go and printing this yet?

I used 1.75mm ABS at .2mm layer height.

Quote Originally Posted by lemming View Post
    Hi All

Have printed the main extruder block. It came out pretty well.

I assume we're meant to drill through the bottom where the filament comes out to allow it to go into the hot end.

Maybe I should have also printed it with support (or print cooling) as the 2 recessed areas where the hot ends go aren't so flat due to the bridging it had to do.

Has anyone else had a go and printing this yet?

I used 1.75mm ABS at .2mm layer height.
    Yes, you need to cut out the support bridging across the bottom of the filament channel. I usually use an X-Acto knife. I just insert the tip into the center hole and sweep around the hole to clean it out. If you have a print cooling fan, enable it when printing bridges, and those strings across the bottom of the channel should tighten up and make a nice, flat platform. If your printer can't do this, you'll probably need to use support. Be careful, though. You don't want to be generating support inside the filament channel.

RobH2 has reported that the inside of the filament channel didn't come out clean for him. I haven't seen his prints, so I don't know exactly what he's seeing. The filament channels are octagonal, to try to improve dimensional stability over round holes, and they print cleanly on my printer. The filament slides through cleanly for me with no cleanup.

Add RobH2 on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by clough42 View Post
    Yes, you need to cut out the support bridging across the bottom of the filament channel. I usually use an X-Acto knife. I just insert the tip into the center hole and sweep around the hole to clean it out. If you have a print cooling fan, enable it when printing bridges, and those strings across the bottom of the channel should tighten up and make a nice, flat platform. If your printer can't do this, you'll probably need to use support. Be careful, though. You don't want to be generating support inside the filament channel.

RobH2 has reported that the inside of the filament channel didn't come out clean for him. I haven't seen his prints, so I don't know exactly what he's seeing. The filament channels are octagonal, to try to improve dimensional stability over round holes, and they print cleanly on my printer. The filament slides through cleanly for me with no cleanup.
    Yea, maybe it was blobby inside or some other issue. The outside looked beautiful so I expected the inside to be the same. Could be just a one-time malfunction on my end. When I put filament it the first time it just snagged a bit. So, I reemed it with the all-thread and then it was smooth as glass. Who knows. Bottom line, the model 'clough42' built is a very clean file. I'm sure my issue was not related to the model but to the printer.

BTW, what is that red handled thing that we all need?
    Bambu P1S/AMS
    NVision4D http://nvision4d.com