Close



Page 1 of 48 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 476
  1. #1
    Engineer clough42's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Meridian, ID
    Posts
    420

    Itty Bitty Double Extruder

    Introducing the Itty Bitty Double Extruder:


    IBDE-RightFront.jpg
    This is a completely new dual extruder system:

    • Dual Hexagon hot ends on 20mm centers
    • Quiet, zero-backlash belt drive
    • NEMA 14 motors
    • Integrated hot end cooling
    • Integrated print cooling
    • Integrated servo Z-probe for auto-bed-leveling
    • Easy-to-install cam-lock idler bearing shafts
    • 2g lighter and 2mm narrower than the standard MakerFarm hinged single extruder
    • Includes all parts necessary to mount on MakerFarm Prusa i3v printers

    Please use this thread for questions and discussion.

    *** A hardware kit is now available! ***
    Get it here

    Links:

    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by clough42; 04-20-2015 at 12:13 AM. Reason: Update summary information

  2. #2
    Engineer clough42's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Meridian, ID
    Posts
    420
    There has been a fair amount of interest in a hardware kit, so I've been investigating pricing.

    What would you want in a hardware kit for the extruder?

    • Screws, bearings, pulleys, belts, springs and insulating tape (of course)
    • Hobbed bolts?
    • Hot ends?
    • Motors?
    • Z probe servo?

    If you have stock MakerFarm-shipped RAMPS electronics, you might also need

    • A4988 driver board
    • RRD Fan extender

    to control the extra motor and print cooling fan.

    Everything (except the RAMPS electronics) can be sourced from a combination of MrMetric, MakerFarm, Pololu, McMaster Carr, HobbyKing, Harbor Freight and a couple of Chinese eBay sellers for around $253, including shipping to the US (2-3 weeks). I'll upload a shopping list soon.

    I've been investigating volume pricing, and I could probably offer an all-inclusive kit (everything except the RAMPS electronics) shipped Priority Mail in the US for a little less (maybe $230, depending on sourcing).

    How much demand would there be for such a kit, or for a cheaper kit without the hot ends and motors?

  3. #3
    Thank-you for sharing your work, looks awesome, I'm in process of printing the parts.

    Screws, bearings, and springs are my biggest concern. Maybe motors too. I've already got the hobbed bolts, servo, and hot ends.

  4. #4
    Technologist Stigern's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    140
    I'm amazed, could I ask what software you're using for designing such a awsome work of art?

  5. #5
    Engineer clough42's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Meridian, ID
    Posts
    420
    Quote Originally Posted by Stigern View Post
    I'm amazed, could I ask what software you're using for designing such a awsome work of art?
    This particular design was done in SolidWorks. I'm glad you like it.

  6. #6
    Student OldSourKraut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    10
    I have already started printing and sourcing parts for this project. I'm truly excited to get started on it. I have been using your hexagon cooling shroud and z-probe servo mount and am very impressed with the solid design. My question is have you had any issues with the 3cfm fan cooling both hotends on extended prints? It has been doing a good job on my single hexagon hot end, but I would be doubling the heat in that area.
    Also how critical is the spring tension used on this build? I have a hardware store across the street with a good selection and I'm hoping I could bring my completed extruder over there and find something that would work.

  7. #7
    Engineer clough42's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Meridian, ID
    Posts
    420
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSourKraut View Post
    I have already started printing and sourcing parts for this project. I'm truly excited to get started on it. I have been using your hexagon cooling shroud and z-probe servo mount and am very impressed with the solid design. My question is have you had any issues with the 3cfm fan cooling both hotends on extended prints? It has been doing a good job on my single hexagon hot end, but I would be doubling the heat in that area.
    Also how critical is the spring tension used on this build? I have a hardware store across the street with a good selection and I'm hoping I could bring my completed extruder over there and find something that would work.
    Thanks.

    I haven't had any trouble with the 25mm hexagon cooling fan so far. The shroud is designed to concentrate the airflow around the heat sink fins. I've run a couple of 8-hour prints with no issues--one with $10 Sunon maglev 3CFM fan (which I highly recommend) and one with the 25mm fan shipped with the Hexagon. The cooling fins get warm, but I can easily hold a finger on them. Printing with both hot ends at 250C over a 110C bed, the heat sinks get up to around 45C, with no jams.

    For the springs, I recommend 1Kgf per spring as a starting point. I found some springs in a Harbor Freight spring assortment that I cut in half and bent new hooks. These grip the MakerFarm ABS very well with the MakerFarm bolts. I.e. they can transfer more torque than the motors can deliver. I haven't sourced anything specific yet.

  8. #8
    Student OldSourKraut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    10
    Good to hear, I'm also using the Sunon maglev 3CFM fan and those are the Temps I'm printing at and about the same temps i'm seeing on the heat sink fins for my single extruder.

    One mod I did make to the single hexagon shroud was to remove the plastic at the bottom between the hot end and cooling fins and replace it with a piece of brass that is cut to go around the hot end and wrap up the sides, this is attached with a couple of m2 bolts and nuts. This stays cool and avoids the melting plastic issue. Looks like I'll be doing the same to the double shroud as well.

    Thanks for all the time and effort you have put into this project.

  9. #9
    Technologist
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Orange, CA
    Posts
    101
    Quote Originally Posted by clough42 View Post
    There has been a fair amount of interest in a hardware kit, so I've been investigating pricing.

    What would you want in a hardware kit for the extruder?

    • Screws, bearings, pulleys, belts, springs and insulating tape (of course)
    • Hobbed bolts?
    • Hot ends?
    • Motors?
    • Z probe servo?

    If you have stock MakerFarm-shipped RAMPS electronics, you might also need

    • A4988 driver board
    • RRD Fan extender

    to control the extra motor and print cooling fan.

    Everything (except the RAMPS electronics) can be sourced from a combination of MrMetric, MakerFarm, Pololu, McMaster Carr, HobbyKing, Harbor Freight and a couple of Chinese eBay sellers for around $253, including shipping to the US (2-3 weeks). I'll upload a shopping list soon.

    I've been investigating volume pricing, and I could probably offer an all-inclusive kit (everything except the RAMPS electronics) shipped Priority Mail in the US for a little less (maybe $230, depending on sourcing).

    How much demand would there be for such a kit, or for a cheaper kit without the hot ends and motors?
    What would you want in a hardware kit for the extruder? answers

    • Screws, bearings, pulleys, belts, springs and insulating tape (of course) = YES to all of that
    • Hobbed bolts? = YES
    • Hot ends? = NO but if talks with Colin go well, having an option to buy 1 or 2 heads might be cool
    • Motors? = Maybe but not really right off the bat
    • Z probe servo? = maybe but we can do that for now
    • Fans? = Yes



    If you have stock MakerFarm-shipped RAMPS electronics, you might also need

    • A4988 driver board
    • RRD Fan extender

    to control the extra motor and print cooling fan.

    if talks with colin work out hve it as an option like a drop down list check boxes,
    with info on the page about whats parts are need for witch models.

    most people with 3dprinters (except makerbot owners) have good Google skills and can source the bigger stuff.

  10. #10
    Engineer clough42's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Meridian, ID
    Posts
    420
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSourKraut View Post
    One mod I did make to the single hexagon shroud was to remove the plastic at the bottom between the hot end and cooling fins and replace it with a piece of brass that is cut to go around the hot end and wrap up the sides, this is attached with a couple of m2 bolts and nuts. This stays cool and avoids the melting plastic issue. Looks like I'll be doing the same to the double shroud as well.

    Thanks for all the time and effort you have put into this project.
    You're welcome.

    The brass is a good idea. I have been making insulators out of fiberglass tape and Kapton and they work pretty well. The bottom of the shroud gets smooth and shiny, but it stays put.

Page 1 of 48 12311 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •