Close

Student

After gap layer quality

So when you print a layer, with gaps (whatever this may be... creating a hole or small extrusions on top of a flat plane) the print quality for another 10mm is usually pretty bad. I feel it is due to the retraction setting, but not sure which way to shift the retraction amount, and by how much - I have tried a few variances but with not much luck. Can anyone help?

Engineer
    Can you post a picture please?

Follow Davo On Twitter Add Davo on Facebook Add Davo on Google+ Add Davo on Shapeways Add Davo on Thingiverse
    What firmware, slicer and printer are you using?

Student
    DSCF3020.jpg

Velleman K8200
    Slic3r 0.9.8

As you can see though in the image below, the rest of the print quality is pretty good...
    DSCF3021.jpg

Looks like you're over-extruding, your belts might be loose and you may have some z-axis wobble thrown in for good measure. I'd solve those issues before looking at retraction.

Have you run through the calibration procedure on the reprap wiki yet?

Follow Davo On Twitter Add Davo on Facebook Add Davo on Google+ Add Davo on Shapeways Add Davo on Thingiverse
    Slic3r is at 1.1.7 now, although this probably isn't the cause of your issue.

Do you have some acceleration/deceleration set? I see no problems along most of the print, only near where the perimeter has lots of angles.

Also, how many perimeters and what percentage infill? I use 35% honeycomb infill and four perimeters.

Student
    OK, so I gave my belts a tightening up, and changed the retraction from 1mm to 3mm and that seems to have solved the issue. Did a test part, similar to the one in the photos (but smaller, just to reduce the wastage) and it was a lot better.
    Thanks for the replies