Close

Page 3 of 35 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

-What is the most interesting thing I've seen done with a 3D printer or 3D printing technology?
    For me it had to be moving parts,gears,joints etc. and they move seamlessly I know that's old but when I first saw it I was blown away.
    -If you could build your dream 3D printer,what would include and would it do? Let your imagination run wild.
    My cray ideas would be to print on pre existing things ie. shoes, watches anything that would personalize something. I don,t know if this exist already but something that plants can use a s a food source an slowly decompose. (I love orchids)

I am new to learning about this technology of 3 d printing, yet, I'm mesmerized. The most amazing thing I've seen as of today were 3 d printed floral bouquets! That is the reason I would like to have one! I hate getting flowers and then they die..this way it's a one of a kind keepsake that last for years on end!

As I am new to learning about this technology, I am still not sure what I would "change" however I have heard there is a lot of waste involve so at this point I would have to say...I'd like to see a way to reuse...the waste...some sort of extruded, would work great! I am still learning so I will post again about these things ask learn more!

A printer like this, in th elands of a novice could make foursome. Wry interesting ideas! I for one have hundreds running through my head right now!!!

The most interesting thing I have seen done with a 3D printer is the bitcoin ingot created by xmbrst on thingiverse. I really love bitcoin and paper wallets but was never really comfortable printing my own paper wallets for long term storage using consumer level inkjet printers because of how ink can bleed or fade over time. Using a 3D printer, one can create a pair of bitcoin wallet QR codes in a solid chunk of plastic that is invulnerable to such weaknesses.

If I were to build my dream 3D printer, it would have 100% open source hardware, have four tiny extruders so I could print in every color (CMYK), have a built-in filament recycler on top, have network connectivity options so anyone on the LAN could easily print, and it would send me SMS updates on print status.

Epic contest by the way. I'm also glad to see Adafruit on the list of sponsors!

Student
    Add eades850 on Google+ Add eades850 on Thingiverse
    - What is the most interesting thing you have seen done with a 3D printer or 3D printing technology?
    The advances made in medical uses of 3d printing for prosthetics and also as implantable devices for cosmetic/reconstructive surgery

- If you could build your dream 3D printer, what would it include and what would it do? Let your imagination run wild!
    In my case it isn't so much wild imagination as it is a planned goal to be obtained.
    It would have an all metal Quad hot end setup capable of printing high temp exotics with water soluble supports.
    A build volume of 1 cubic Meter
    An enclosed, temp controlled build chamber and heated bed with forced fume venting.
    A fire sense/Halon supression system using a Shunt trip power disconnect.
    webcam monitoring system with chamber LED lighting using a 12" tablet dedicated to the printer.
    With a long life of widely ranging experiences and hobbies the uses to which I would put the printer range from custom parts for motorcycles and restoration pieces for classic sports cars to parts with embedded electronics and inventions I have been working on for decades. The printer will allow me to stop using the "Epoxy cast and Mill" technique which is extremely time consuming and not always the best option and too often limited in it's capability.
    Last edited by eades850; 09-06-2014 at 07:05 AM.

Student
    -What is the most interesting thing you have seen done with a 3D printer or 3D printing technology?
    The dress done with the 3doodler is awesome. I find it very interesting when someone is able to take something simple as the 3doodler and create something so amazing.

- If you could build your dream 3D printer, what would it include and what would it do? Let your imagination run wild!
    My dream printer would be able to print at any size, with any material, and in an instance, but this seems very unrealistic. I'll settle for multiple extrudes over my current printer though.

Nice contest!

What is the most interesting thing you have seen done with a 3d printer? The creation of a life sized elephant. Shows there are no limits to build size. Also printing of multi component interlocking items that could not be made any other way.

If you could build your dream 3d printer, what would it include and what would it do? 2-4 extrudes, heated bed, temps up to 300 C. Ability to stop and resume prints after changing material. Built in camera and octoprint. Open source. Readily available spare parts. Material dryer and a hopper for pellets instead of a spool.

Student
    Add Solstie on Google+ Add Solstie on Thingiverse
    What is the most interesting thing you have seen done with a 3D printer or 3D printing technology?
    I think the large format 3D printers working in concrete are really interesting. Seems like it could really open the world up to interesting small and large structures in the near future.

If you could build your dream 3D printer, what would it include and what would it do? Let your imagination run wild!
    I am constantly adding more and more remote capability to my printers since I still have a day job. The company that comes out with a fully remote printer will get serious consideration from those that have their printers working 24/7 like me!

What is the most interesting thing you have seen done with a 3D printer or 3D printing technology?
    The most interesting thing that is being done with 3d printers is not desktop trinkets knick knacks, but prosthetic limbs. Limbs that later are connected with wires for electrical impulses from the body to make the prosthetic move.
    Can you imagine having a child that was born without a limb or lost it due to an accident and having the ability to print a prosthetic and have it function as the original, having them be happy would more than pay for the price.

If you could build your dream 3D printer, what would it include and what would it do? Let your imagination run wild!
    My dream printer would be bigger than most desktop printers big enough to print large car parts or panels. It would also utilize DMLS as well as having the ability to switch between metal and plastic filaments. My printer would also be able to print with carbon fiber.

Everything! I've been doing 3D graphics for way too many years, and just the thought of being able to take my creations out of the computer and physically hold them in my hand is mind blowing.If you could build your dream 3D printer, what would it include and what would it do? Let your imagination run wild!
    My printer would have fewer moving parts. Not sure how that could be done logistically, but all the moving parts in current printers make them ripe for failure. I'd also like an ink-jet style system for creating multi-color prints. Or lacking that, a filament management system that would allow me to switch between several colors without having to mount and unmount rolls.

- What is the most interesting thing you have seen done with a 3D printer or 3D printing technology?

The most interesting things I have seen done with a 3D printer are parts that are mechanically impossible to manufacture because they have captive elements or shapes CNC machine cannot produce to this day.

If I could build my dream 3D printer it would be using FFF technology, have multiple heads similar to a rotating toolchanger in a CNC, have a large printing volume (20"x20"x20"), Self leveling printing bed (no headache), built-in scanner using Next Engine ScanStudio technology (STEP/IGS output for implementation in Solidworks/Inventor), a built-in part post processing system with acetone vaporizer that assess exactly the amount of exposure the prints need, Live webcam feed to monitor printing process from Android/iOS when I gotta go to work, and lastly a Polished aluminum and glass enclosure with internal lights and all...
    At that point I'll need a new house to fit that in hahaha

Page 3 of 35 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast