Close

Page 2 of 35 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

- What is the most interesting thing you have seen done with a 3D printer or 3D printing technology?

While I've been interested in 3D printing from the first time I was introduced to it a few years ago, I haven't followed it's progress much, not having the resources to invest in this technology. However, the reason I'm here is because of reading an article on 3D printing of graphine and batteries. I would think this capability will generate an explosion of ideas as circuits and power could be printed within the confines of any design.

http://3dprint.com/19554/daniel-stolyarov-ceo-graphene/

- If you could build your dream 3D printer, what would it include and what would it do? Let your imagination run wild!

Again, not having access to a 3D printor or knowledge of current state of the art, I don't even know what is currently possible. Having read all the previous posts, I'd have to say pretty much everything has already been dreamed of. The only capability I haven't seen mention is the ability to print glass or transparent materials as well as embedded circuits and electronic components. Oh, one other thing, a Sketchup interface to import 3D model data to utilize the millions of world wide models as represented in the Sketchup 3D warehouse. Perhaps a 3D printing "warehouse" too, where people can share the files.

What is the most interesting thing you have seen done with a 3D printer or 3D printing technology?i

I guess mostly would be playable/usable items like a Guitar you can print from Thingiverse or the functional Clock.

If you could build your dream 3D printer, what would it include and what would it do? Let your imagination run wild!

I guess a House builder, That would print a house within so many days simple by that printer,
    After that i would like a Delta printer as dream or a SLA?

Add GameProps on Facebook Add GameProps on Thingiverse
    What is the most interesting thing you have seen done with a 3D printer or 3D printing technology?

The most interesting thing I have seen done with a printer was one that printed food. Of course it had to be cooked afterwards but it brings to mind the replicator from Star Trek.

If you could build your dream 3D printer, what would it include and what would it do? Let your imagination run wild!

If I had my dream printer, for starters it would be a dream just to have one. I have been designing files for them for a couple of years now. Being broke doesn't help. But as for a general dream 3D printer, would have to be a 6'x6'x6' cubed 3D printer, of course with something like that most of the possibilities are endless for me at least. Now as for the type of material it would use I would have to have FDM, it's more affordable and even though it takes a lot of time to print a large object it's worth it in the end.

Technologist American 3D Printing's Avatar
    Add American 3D Printing on Facebook Add American 3D Printing on Google+ Add American 3D Printing on Thingiverse
    Most interesting thing I've seen done is making replacement human organs. Imagine not having to wait for a donor kidney or heart, and not having to take anti-rejection medication for the rest of your life after a transplant.

My dream 3D printer would function about the same as the replicators on the USS Enterprise. Tea, Earl Grey. Hot. Basically convert energy directly into matter - any matter in any configuration, atom by atom. Of course it would be just as fast - basically make anything in a few seconds.

- What is the most interesting thing you have seen done with a 3D printer or 3D printing technology?
    I think the new bronzefill and woodfill from Colorfabb are very interesting. Making it possible for consumers to print different materials.

- If you could build your dream 3D printer, what would it include and what would it do? Let your imagination run wild!
    It would have multiple extruders, printing with different nozzle sizes and materials for support and flexible. It would have a heated bed that could also cool! The build size would be adjustable so the printer doesn't take up that much room.

Retweeted:
    https://twitter.com/3DPrintBoard/status/506859425970532352
    Shared.
    How do you measure all the entries, is there a page that manages it? Going to anwser the 33 questions now.

Student
    Follow apmahardy On Twitter Add apmahardy on Facebook Add apmahardy on Google+ Add apmahardy on Thingiverse

Contest!

Hey Eddie! Nice to finally interact away from G+.
    This contest is great and very exciting! 3D-printing technology is still slightly out of reach for my financial state (right out of school -- intern slaving ) dropping one or two g's on a reliable machine is still a hair toooo much-- Well, lets get to the questions!

Where do I even start! I've been following 3dprinting technology for years now and this question certainly recalls some select moments of overwhelming amazement. One instance in particular stands out. Eric Klarinbeek's "mycelium" 3dprinted chairs. http://www.dezeen.com/2013/10/20/mycelium-chair-by-eric-klarenbeek-is-3d-printed-with-living-fungus/ I'm a huge supporter of the understanding that the injection of 3d printing technology into ALL other fields is inevitable. Healthcare products, science, art, architecture, engineering, fashion, medicine-- the list goes on! Back to the fungi printing. Not only is this a great example of a new material to print with (mycelium) its a great example of printing a 'system' and not just an object. Sure, printing a product to look like that particular product is one thing (prototyping), but what if it could be printed in such a way to influence the way that product actually acts (biomimicry)? Allow me to elaborate. Eric Klarinbeek didn't print a copy of a mushroom-- he printed a form (in this case a chair) and using the complex layering of additive manufacturing, was able to control the location where the fungi grew. The printing was done months ago, but the chair continues to grow. The possibilities are outrageous!

What a tease! The perfect AIO (all-in-one) of course, but lets start with the hardware first. A 3d-printer with three heads-- two heads would be able to rotate from working in the x and y axis to working in the z (enabling material to be added to the sides as well as the top-- not sure of the implications here (mechanically) but something has to be there. A heated bed for ABS models and vents in the side of the case. Due to the varying climates and temperatures (and interns shoved into a cold colorado basements to work) these vents would work like camera apertures-- the user would be able to the manually open and close them, allowing for an increase or decrease in airflow (maybe a temperature gauge in the case and something to automatically adjust aperture size! Now i'm getting greedy). Or, maybe a memory shape polymer that adjust to temperature by opening and closing? Ok, fine back to the dream machine. The model bed would also be able to turn 360 degrees on its z-axis and two lasers would scan the objects depth data while a webcam captured textures and colors, providing 3d-scanning capabilities. Oh! Of course, the beds and heads could be manually swapped out for other beds and heads allowing you to convert you machine into a laser cutter(fans and filter in base of unit to draw out fumes.), Mini CNC router, and etcher oh my! Why stop there? Lets add insult to injury and say that this machine is pretty bulky in size and can also preform good ole' conventional printer tasks. Printing and scanning documents, and faxing would all be functions. Heck, lets throw a K-cup receptacle and water reservoir (could be used to water cool your machine through radiator-like fins) in the mix. Who doesn't like ten second coffee and ten minute prototypes at eight O'clock in the morning? In fact, pre-load the material, set the printers autoprint feature to 3dprint a model of a mug at 7:30am than at 7:55 have it brew and fill it with coffee.

Good luck everyone and happy (3d)printing!

Last edited by apmahardy; 09-02-2014 at 08:28 PM.

The complex surgical models used for learning, where they mix different material types in order the recreate the human body for specific surgical procedures

I would like an artificial life printing machine, something that iterates creations with automated Artificial Intelligence design that rewards the entities that successfully accomplish specific task taking them to the next iteration phase. In this way the printer will be the core of this evolution reactor.

I am amazed with the way the medical field is able to begin printing organs for real humans. I think it is amazing that sometime (hopefully soon) we can print people a replacement organ instead of having to wait for someone to die before there can be a transplant.

My dream printer would be extremely fast (almost the way laser printers are so much faster than ink jets). I feel like 3D printing is currently at the ink jet phase, and we need to find ways to make it be laser fast. In addition, I would love to be able to have full color support so we could print multiple colors and even combine colors into one to make different colors. A printer that has a 99.99% success rate in all prints (no warping, clogging, etc.) Finally, I would love a printer that takes up a small piece of real estate but somehow can print unlimited sizes.

Followed and retweeted on Twitter by Shoewee
    Liked and shared on Facebook by John Shoemaker

As an engineer it is very interesting to be able to produce functional prototypes no matter what the complexity. I have been able to utilize 3D printing to develop handle levers and shields for rototillers that would have taken many attempts if done by sheet metal or may not have been able to create without a very expensive mold. My personal experience and interest aside, the development of 3D printed organs/tissues/bones has been very amazing and I'm glad to know people are being helped in ways never imagined before.

My dream 3D printer would be a one-stop-shop for prototyping. It would include the ability for FDM printing as well as SLS for ecoplastics, silicone polymers, metals, wood, glass, sandstone, and ice. In addition to printing it would have CNC milling capabilities and house a 4' x 4' work area. Of the materials I listed, ice would be interesting to print in by running a cold extruder nozzle in order to produce intricate ice sculptures for weddings and other such events.

Organovo's work on bio-printing. It could really be the replacement organ builders of the future.
    It would have : Ultrafast printing (you said we could dream !) + scanner high res + Big printing volume (80x80x80cm) + Tripple or quadruple head extrusion + metal printing capabilities + Kevlar & Carbon fiber printing capabilities + CNC milling + it must make coffee too.

Page 2 of 35 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast