Close

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Staff Engineer
    Add AutoWiz on Facebook
    oh my bad. I understood mate wrong. This is probably more up your alley in defining the above car..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4CPBfpnye0

The zr-1 has a 6.2L engine with the same supercharger we are strapping to the 7.0L in the z06. With the oversized brakes the corvette z06 has we could even slow down and wave to them Ferraris and porsches as we scream by them.

Staff Engineer
    Add AutoWiz on Facebook
    And if you are into Top Gear, Here is what the Stig did with a bone stock Z06:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_1vTPy-wcU

You gotta respect Corvette. It is arguably America's only true sports car. It sure is the only American sports car to sustain over 60 years of continuous sales and production(with the sole exception of 1983 when they were retooling for a new body style). And unlike mustang, charger, Camaro, challenger, and all the other 2+2 and 4 seaters, the Corvette has 2 seats. So does the GT. But Ford can't sustain sales of it so they make it for a few years and then it goes away for a while. And the new ZR1 is about to be released at >750hp:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPYSVRzHV60
    Last edited by AutoWiz; 07-26-2017 at 05:10 PM.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    looks like the one you've got in.
    But doesn't that engine sound rough ?
    Not a good sound.

So how's the 3d printed printer coming on ?

Staff Engineer
    Add AutoWiz on Facebook

And here we can see where my threaded rods are short..

I will design 1 spacer to attach the rod to the y end and print 4 copies of it. No big deal there.

Staff Engineer
    Add AutoWiz on Facebook
    Ya man I have completely derailed my own thread here going on about my job. And all that just to say that I love my job. Ya all the stuff we build has a loud deep throated rumble to it. A lot of people like that sound. Anyways back on the printer, I printed the Y ends out with Printalicious..

The 200x200 bed of the GEEETech i3 wasn't big enough for the y ends. So if you are serious about making this you need a printer with at least a 300x200 bed. And it is important to point out that any i3 can easily be converted to a 300x200 bed.

looking good.

engine noise wise. the one on the nurburgring, sounded tinny and harsh. Could be the video but it didn't sound right.

Staff Engineer
    Add AutoWiz on Facebook
    That track goes through residential neighborhoods and there is an allowable noise level and the 2018 ZR1 corvette at ~800hp or whatever it's making is far from quiet. So when that car wants to get out and open up on the nurburgring It has to have these silly extensions on the exhaust to help keep things quiet..

Last edited by AutoWiz; 07-28-2017 at 07:10 PM.

ah ha that makes sense.
    'cos you'd never buy a car that sounded like that for that kind of money :-)

On a side note I was parked next to a top of the range tesla the other day - 0-60 in under 3 seconds - absolutely no noise at all.
    scary for anyone who needs to cross a road :-)

Staff Engineer
    Add AutoWiz on Facebook
    So I made the spacers for the threaded rods and got some hardware and got the y axis together..

This build is moving along nicely. I am going to design my own z axis motor and top mounts because I want extra support around the smooth rod so it doesn't get loose over time because it is only pla. But I think the very next step is to get drive and idler pulleys set up and get a belt on this y axis..

Staff Engineer
    Add AutoWiz on Facebook
    I have had a few problems so far with design snags. I mean having to make the spacers for the short rods was my fault and totally motivated by saving money. But I feel like the bottom of the frame is too tall and also the holes for the bearings to mount to the y carriage were not the right size and also not in the right place. My solution was to make 3 separate and very specific pieces to adapt the y carriage to the bearings used and their location..

And now the carriage can sit flat on all bearings..

The spacers I made also pick the carriage up 10mm. I know this will come at the cost of build height, but I had to get some clearance for the heatbed hardware to stick down..

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast