Close

Technician

New to 3D printing, how can i print a test line before prints?

It seems that none of my prints have that test line and I don't know if that is SOP for 3D printing but it seems that it somewhat cleans the print nozzle and allows for a clean base. I think it's called a skirt but is it something I need to manually add to the beginning of my g code or does the app usually add it for me?. If I don't have it the first line i sometimes have issues and many times it just causes the base to get dislodged as the next adjacent line comes in contact w/ that first skewed line. I am using a Maker Select 3D and currently using Cura if that matters. I did create a few things with tinkercad as well so perhaps it doesn't add those lines to the gcode?

Thanks much guys.

Dave
    Last edited by TTVert; 02-17-2017 at 01:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TTVert View Post
    It seems that none of my prints have that test line and I don't know if that is SOP for 3D printing but it seems that it somewhat cleans the print nozzle and allows for a clean base. I think it's called a skirt but is it something I need to manually add to the beginning of my g code or does the app usually add it for me?. If I don't have it the first line i sometimes have issues and many times it just causes the base to get dislodged as the next adjacent line comes in contact w/ that first skewed line. I am using a Maker Select 3D and currently using Cura if that matters. I did create a few things with tinkercad as well so perhaps it doesn't add those lines to the gcode?

Thanks much guys.

Dave
    I'm not sure if I fully understand but is it the skirt like this?

Technician
    Sorry is the skirt the dotted line or the purple? I believe either would be fine. I think i understand better now after some more reading. It seems you may be able to set a global printer config that will print a skirt around anything you print. With this particular printer it homes X/Y and then prints a glob, retracts and drags that bit of filament to prevent curling and cleansup any residue. Is this though process correct?
    Thanks
    Dave
    Last edited by TTVert; 02-17-2017 at 11:37 AM.

Add Marm on Thingiverse
    My printer does one automatically if it can fit, runs about a 50mm line down and back along one edge. It's not an option for me, it just does it, even if I don't want it.

If you want a test line, you could add another object to the slicer, and make sure it prints that one first. Dunno how you'd do that though.

Technician
    Thanks it appears that it's just a printer config where the start/end gcode is. I added it in there and I appears to be added to all my prints. Can someone confirm I am doing the correct thing here and not causing more issues? As of now it is printing everything very well.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Marm View Post
    My printer does one automatically if it can fit, runs about a 50mm line down and back along one edge. It's not an option for me, it just does it, even if I don't want it.

If you want a test line, you could add another object to the slicer, and make sure it prints that one first. Dunno how you'd do that though.

Add Marm on Thingiverse
    Does it work?

Then I'd run with it. If you start seeing issues, you know what you changed, and how to fix it.

The purple line is the actual skirt. The dot line is the moving range of the extruder. I think manually add a skirt by yourself is also working. Mine is just the one key solution for all the steps you mentioned.
    If you can post a picture that will be better to understand

Technician
    Thank all. Yes it does work a treat. I've printed a few skits and brims now. I'm now working on an issue where the brim is a bit hard to detach from the base of the print.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Marm View Post
    Does it work?

Then I'd run with it. If you start seeing issues, you know what you changed, and how to fix it.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    it's usually a setting in the slicer - under skirt or brim.
    I don't bother with a skirt.

Occasionally use a brim to anchor very thin parts.

So what slicer do you use ?
    That's the program that takes the stl file and slices it into layers tha printer can print.

Technician
    I'm using cura 15.04.6. (I print via usb and 2.3 and 2.4 won't support my printer ) I didn't see an option to set brim specs other than "brim line amount" What is the purpose of a skirt, to just further purge the print nozzle?

Dave