Close

Page 294 of 411 FirstFirst ... 194244284292293294295296304344394 ... LastLast
Results 2,931 to 2,940 of 4110
    Super Moderator
    Starting the first long, 6 hour print with the new printer. So far it is doing pretty good. Not to overly impressed with Cura which is what is supplied (QIDI branded) but it does ok so to get going without buying S3D it is pretty good.

I am very curious to see how it does with S3D once I have a profile for the printer!!
    Last edited by wirlybird; 08-24-2016 at 06:21 PM.

Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by jfkansas View Post
    Really with modern slicing software supports of the same material are usually just fine and generally remove without leaving too much of a scar, if any.

I have some PVA, but it isn't generally heat compatible with ABS. ABS is better with HIPS, but that is a chemical dependent support material to remove.

PVA is nice since it is just wash with water.
    What nozzle and bed temps do you use to print PVA? Does it print like PLA or ABS or ?

Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by wirlybird View Post
    I decided I wanted a dual extruder simply from reading and the possability of two color prints but what I found is it has been handy to have PLA and ABS loaded at the same time so i can switch back and forth between whichever I need for the current print. The only downside is dragging an extruder but that goes away with proper setup.
    That is also my most frequent setup w/ PLA on the left and ABS on the right.

I am having a problem w/ some ABS in my QiDi. It is MG Maker ABS Sassy Silver. When I load the filament using the front panel filament load function and look at the thread coming out of the extruder nozzle it has bumps, kinks and bubbles in it. I don't hear anything but my hearing is shot from too much R&R. I've other MG Maker ABS and it does not do that, all the other ABS is smooth and even as it gets spit out. None of my various PLA's do this.

I don't think this is normal. I've seen mention that something like this can be caused by water being absorbed into the filament. I got this roll from MG 3 days ago, opened it immediately, left it in its sealed bag (with its desiccant), put it in a ziplock with a bunch of desiccant, and put that in a sealed drybox with a bunch more desiccant. Took it out today and I get bubbles and kinky bumps.

I would really appreciate hearing from someone else who has experienced this issue and how it was resolved.

Super Moderator
    Add jfkansas on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveB View Post
    What nozzle and bed temps do you use to print PVA? Does it print like PLA or ABS or ?
    More like PLA, but if you go too hot like 190 it can turn into a tar and destroy the nozzle. Heated bed should be chosen based on the primary filament and not the supports.

Engineer
    More like PLA, but if you go too hot like 190 it can turn into a tar and destroy the nozzle. Heated bed should be chosen based on the primary filament and not the supports.
    Holy cow, 190 is too hot?

Super Moderator
    I completely agree regarding spares, I currently view it as having a warm spare extruder. I've not done enough research into support filament materials, is there a "no-brainer" solution for that yet?

You want spare parts, stock up from QIDI. I looked at the same parts from Flashforge and they can be up to four times as much. For instance a complete extruder setup with steppers, cables etc. ready to bolt on is $85 from QIDI and $280 from Flashforge. I have to imagine they are the same thing.
    I've been stocking up on stuff before prices go up.

Super Moderator
    That is also my most frequent setup w/ PLA on the left and ABS on the right.

I am having a problem w/ some ABS in my QiDi. It is MG Maker ABS Sassy Silver. When I load the filament using the front panel filament load function and look at the thread coming out of the extruder nozzle it has bumps, kinks and bubbles in it. I don't hear anything but my hearing is shot from too much R&R. I've other MG Maker ABS and it does not do that, all the other ABS is smooth and even as it gets spit out. None of my various PLA's do this.

I don't think this is normal. I've seen mention that something like this can be caused by water being absorbed into the filament. I got this roll from MG 3 days ago, opened it immediately, left it in its sealed bag (with its desiccant), put it in a ziplock with a bunch of desiccant, and put that in a sealed drybox with a bunch more desiccant. Took it out today and I get bubbles and kinky bumps.

I would really appreciate hearing from someone else who has experienced this issue and how it was resolved.

Some of mine is a bit like that on loading but seems to print just fine. I am only on my first roll (white) of ABS from MG though but no issues yet. The PLA does its little dance on loading also and I thought it was an issue but maybe it's just the speed of the motor? It still seem to be fine printing.

Super Moderator
    Add jfkansas on Thingiverse
    Holy cow, 190 is too hot?
    Can be, that would be max temp. Some is rated between 160 and 180. Since it is a support material it can sit in the extruder for layers without moving and this can cook it.

Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by wirlybird View Post
    Some of mine is a bit like that on loading but seems to print just fine. I am only on my first roll (white) of ABS from MG though but no issues yet. The PLA does its little dance on loading also and I thought it was an issue but maybe it's just the speed of the motor? It still seem to be fine printing.
    Thanks W, I've only the single roll of ABS that behaves in this manner.

This roll does seem to warp hugely as well. What were your conclusions regarding the warp in your prints that appeared to be in response to adjacent voids or filled areas?

Engineer
    Can be, that would be max temp. Some is rated between 160 and 180. Since it is a support material it can sit in the extruder for layers without moving and this can cook it.
    Ahh, your descriptions seem to indicate direct experience with this issue. Thank you for the warning. I gather the nozzle cannot be un-jammed and is likely a throw away?

Page 294 of 411 FirstFirst ... 194244284292293294295296304344394 ... LastLast