Close

Thread: A few questions

A few questions

I'm new to 3D printing and I'm pretty technically inclined, but I have a few questions. I bought an Aurora Z605 with a MK8 extruder just over a week ago; yeah, yeah, that was before I read about the problems with it in this forum. I've since purchased upgrade parts (Ramps 1.4/Mega 2560/LCD) and plan on installing soon. Also planning on installing/upgrading to a dual extruder.

So, it took me a few days for the build due to poor instructions, and subsequently delayed another couple of days when I discovered the extruder thermistor was broken. My first test print last night of a simple 10 mm cube (orange PLA, 200 deg hot end/55 deg bed) looks pretty good, measures 10.15 mm.

1. While printing, the hot end temperature started dropping to approximately 160, is that normal? Or do I have some issues with heat transfer that I need to figure out? I'm not real comfortable with the re-install of the hot end sensor and plan on re-doing it with some heat sink compound/putty.
    2. After printing, the bed and extruder shut off and after it had cooled for about 5 minutes, I simply shut off the power. Is there anything else I should be doing after a print session?
    3. I bought a roll of PLA when I bought the printer; what do I need to do when transferring over to that roll (if anything)? I'm not worried about color mixing yet, and it will be the same type of filament (PLA).

Thanks,

Engineer
    1. Temperature should remain consistent within 1-2 degrees.. does your power supply have enough amperage?
    2. not really
    3.head up hotend.. remove filament, insert new filament. extrude 10mm until it comes out the right colour and consistency

Thanks, I'll look into the power supply, it's the one that came with the kit, can't recall the rating on it off hand. I'm thinking that the thermistor may be the problem, making good contact. I didn't change the configuration when I installed the new thermistor, so it's possible that I need to correct the configuration too.

The print quality was quite good, at least IMHO. If the temperature had actually dropped to 160, wouldn't that have affected the print quality?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Engineer-in-Training
    How are these acrylic frame machines for long-term use without cracking or warping the frame?