While the concept is very interesting, mainly the destructive scanning, this will prevent hardly anyone except technology deficient individuals from transferring print files illegally. In many ways, this actually does nothing to secure copyright material because many people like myself will refuse to use such equipment. This concept also does not bode well for the many instances of failed prints, poor original print quality, difference in printer settings, etc. While it's true that whenever a new technology threatens profits, big corporations try to strike down but this is just pathetic.

This technology also blatantly disregards the environment and the consumer. For one, the original object being destroyed will result in waste material. Sure you could use a struder to recycle the filament but many people probably wouldn't go through the hassle and randomly send objects to their friends and family. In relation to "sending" unique objects to people with this technology, what ever happened to you can just mail an object you made and give it your personal touch? Another interesting thought is how many times you could print an object with a purchased license. What if I print a newly purchased object and the print fails. Do I get another shot at it? Do I have the ability to print a limited number of copies? I'm pretty sure it's not hard to buy one object, lose the file, then scan it myself and distribute the file. After typing all this I realized there are too many reasons why this concept is flawed and hopefully does not succeed in the 3D printing world.