Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Scotty - The Destructive 3D Printer / Scanner

3D printing isn't quite everywhere yet -- but within the next decade or so, it really seems like it could become much more widespread. And that expansion of the technology can (and almost certainly will) lead to intellectual property (IP) regulations that will impact the sending of 3D scan files. Researchers from Germany-based Hasso Plattner Institute have come up with a process that may solve some IP issues. Their Scotty device utilizes destructive scanning, encryption, and 3D printing to destroy the original object so that only the received, new object exists in that form, pretty much "teleporting" the object from point A to point B. Scotty is based on an off-the-shelf 3D printer modified with a 3-axis milling machine, camera, and microcontroller for encryption, using Raspberry Pi and Arduino technologies. For details on how this destructive scanning and encrypted sending process works, check out the full article: http://3dprint.com/38799/scotty-3d-prnt-teleport/

Below is a quick look at how Scotty works:

Technologist
    Add truly_bent on Shapeways
    Took me a minute to figure out why they called it Scotty, "Beam me up...". Okay, it was a while ago.

If true, then copyright laws need to be reformed to allow unfettered 3d printing, putting "Scotty" out of business.

Technician
    This is pretty much the dumbest thing I've ever seen on top of being a complete waste of resources.

Engineer-in-Training
    Quote Originally Posted by brbubba View Post
    This is pretty much the dumbest thing I've ever seen on top of being a complete waste of resources.
    Beat me to it. Dumbest thing I've ever heard of.

Staff Engineer
    I'm pretty sure everyone knows it's a dumb idea, even the people working on it, except for the one guy at the top of the company that is paying for it. Somehow, some people think that consumers somehow actually enjoy copyright restrictions.

Maybe there are people who would buy this. They can put it between their DVD rewinder and Selfie hairbrush/iphone case and never ever figure out how to use it.

Senior Engineer
    Is it April 1st already?

While the concept is very interesting, mainly the destructive scanning, this will prevent hardly anyone except technology deficient individuals from transferring print files illegally. In many ways, this actually does nothing to secure copyright material because many people like myself will refuse to use such equipment. This concept also does not bode well for the many instances of failed prints, poor original print quality, difference in printer settings, etc. While it's true that whenever a new technology threatens profits, big corporations try to strike down but this is just pathetic.

This technology also blatantly disregards the environment and the consumer. For one, the original object being destroyed will result in waste material. Sure you could use a struder to recycle the filament but many people probably wouldn't go through the hassle and randomly send objects to their friends and family. In relation to "sending" unique objects to people with this technology, what ever happened to you can just mail an object you made and give it your personal touch? Another interesting thought is how many times you could print an object with a purchased license. What if I print a newly purchased object and the print fails. Do I get another shot at it? Do I have the ability to print a limited number of copies? I'm pretty sure it's not hard to buy one object, lose the file, then scan it myself and distribute the file. After typing all this I realized there are too many reasons why this concept is flawed and hopefully does not succeed in the 3D printing world.

Follow PIRX_3D On Twitter Add PIRX_3D on Facebook Add PIRX_3D on Thingiverse
    This concept is so funny, that I'd like to volunteer as a test subject.

Engineer-in-Training
    Quote Originally Posted by PIRX_3D View Post
    This concept is so funny, that I'd like to volunteer as a test subject.
    To be destructively scanned? Don't do it man, you've got so much to live for... I assume

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast