Close

Hybrid View

Technologist
    On a delta vs cartesian decision, I'd personally have to disagree with CA. Deltas are much harder to troubleshoot. If you want a delta to draw a line XXmm in length, you need three motors moving, diagonal rods being the right lengths, towers being evenly spaced and orthogonal and more. If your line doesn't turn out as intended it is much harder to troubleshoot just because there are so many factors going into it. On a cartesian printer, each axis is independent from the others and so it's much easier to troubleshoot and calibrate. This may be important for a beginner and for someone who needs rock solid reliability, like for a business or someone who wants to churn out mechanical parts consistently.

As for the faster speeds, I think that's a feature of bowden systems and not deltas. Slap a heavier direct drive on a delta and watch those diagonal rods flop around at those high speeds. What I do love though is the stationary print bed, definitely a plus. You wont get as many ringing artifacts as cartesian printers that move the bed in the Y axis, or even those that cantilever it on the z axis.

Basically, deltas are harder to troubleshoot when or if something does go wrong. This applies whether you're an expert or not, you wont be able to easily diagnose the issue. If your parts come out too big or too small or slightly crook, it wont be clear what the culprit is unlike on a cartesian. On the plus side they do look awesome and, while not a feature inherent of the motion system as people often associate it with, are usually built for fast print speeds. They're pretty appealing as a hobbyist or consumer. If you want something that is more rock solid and easier to troubleshoot, go for a Cartesian that moves the print head in X and Y. There is a reason industrial CNC machines of all sorts favor this design.

Quote Originally Posted by Trakyan View Post
    On a delta vs cartesian decision, I'd personally have to disagree with CA. Deltas are much harder to troubleshoot. If you want a delta to draw a line XXmm in length, you need three motors moving, diagonal rods being the right lengths, towers being evenly spaced and orthogonal and more. If your line doesn't turn out as intended it is much harder to troubleshoot just because there are so many factors going into it. On a cartesian printer, each axis is independent from the others and so it's much easier to troubleshoot and calibrate. This may be important for a beginner and for someone who needs rock solid reliability, like for a business or someone who wants to churn out mechanical parts consistently.

As for the faster speeds, I think that's a feature of bowden systems and not deltas. Slap a heavier direct drive on a delta and watch those diagonal rods flop around at those high speeds. What I do love though is the stationary print bed, definitely a plus. You wont get as many ringing artifacts as cartesian printers that move the bed in the Y axis, or even those that cantilever it on the z axis.

Basically, deltas are harder to troubleshoot when or if something does go wrong. This applies whether you're an expert or not, you wont be able to easily diagnose the issue. If your parts come out too big or too small or slightly crook, it wont be clear what the culprit is unlike on a cartesian. On the plus side they do look awesome and, while not a feature inherent of the motion system as people often associate it with, are usually built for fast print speeds. They're pretty appealing as a hobbyist or consumer. If you want something that is more rock solid and easier to troubleshoot, go for a Cartesian that moves the print head in X and Y. There is a reason industrial CNC machines of all sorts favor this design.
    I do love the looks of deltas, and since I have been in the tech and 3d printing world for many years I doubt there is something I couldn't fix, but that's the problem, I don't really know...

The fast print speed and large bed size of most of them is really nice for me since I'm going to need to print larger parts and a good amount of them, but I don't like the reliability and troubleshooting issues that comes with those perks. With a bit of research and parts I bet I could fix most problems on deltas.

I'm probably going to be going for a Klic-N-Print and Delta combo (2 printers) so that I can get dual extrusion on the KlicNPrint and just so I can print multiple parts at once with 2 printers.
    Thanks for the info Trakyan.