Close

Hybrid View

Engineer-in-Training
    Hi

At least the last time I went through the servo leg approach, simply finding a servo that was temperature stable was a major chore. I wound up with a collection of servos that drifted between 30 and 90 degrees as the temp changed from room up to 100C on the bed. Even with the one I finally used the change was around 10 degrees between an 80C bed and a 110C bed. Not a lot of fun.

I have been running my Pegasus for about six moths now. I find that it needs a re-level roughly every month or so. Each time it's off by at least 0.05 mm on a couple of points. Since that's half of a 0.1 mm layer ( or 1/4 of a 0.2) .. it's a big deal. Yes, I could over-extrude the bottom layer and make things less sensitive. I don't like ugly bottoms on parts .....

Bob

Engineer-in-Training
    Quote Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
    Hi At least the last time I went through the servo leg approach, simply finding a servo that was temperature stable was a major chore. I wound up with a collection of servos that drifted between 30 and 90 degrees as the temp changed from room up to 100C on the bed. Even with the one I finally used the change was around 10 degrees between an 80C bed and a 110C bed. Not a lot of fun. I have been running my Pegasus for about six moths now. I find that it needs a re-level roughly every month or so. Each time it's off by at least 0.05 mm on a couple of points. Since that's half of a 0.1 mm layer ( or 1/4 of a 0.2) .. it's a big deal. Yes, I could over-extrude the bottom layer and make things less sensitive. I don't like ugly bottoms on parts ..... Bob
    That was my concern with the servo arm and is the exact reason why I have not used it yet. I saw a video of the BL Touch the other day and loved the idea and design. While I have a month of of work, I thought I might as well try it and get it dialed in. If you use Nylon Lock Nuts on your bed, manual bed leveling should stay "level" for a while like you mentioned. Now if I switch to ABL/Mesh leveling, would you replace the springs on the bed with spacers?

Quote Originally Posted by BLKKROW View Post
    Now if I switch to ABL/Mesh leveling, would you replace the springs on the bed with spacers?
    I can't do this because I need to have springs on my bed. (Any error in the software being developed can crash the nozzle and I need a little bit of give.)

But if it were not for that, I would mount the bed with no springs on a rigid plate. And if you are thinking about bringing up a Mesh bed leveling scheme, This is the Cat's Meow right now: https://github.com/MarlinFirmware/Marlin/tree/devel-ubl It is a development branch (as opposed to a 'stable' branch). But it works very well.

Engineer-in-Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Roxy View Post
    I can't do this because I need to have springs on my bed. (Any error in the software being developed can crash the nozzle and I need a little bit of give.)

But if it were not for that, I would mount the bed with no springs on a rigid plate. And if you are thinking about bringing up a Mesh bed leveling scheme, This is the Cat's Meow right now: https://github.com/MarlinFirmware/Marlin/tree/devel-ubl It is a development branch (as opposed to a 'stable' branch). But it works very well.
    That is another question I had. What leveling scheme should I use and what is the best stable version of Marlin for this?