Feedback from the hospital added to my notes and questions..... My text is in black, and Rajasekar's feedback is in red....

==================================

What parts will we scan? Most likely “machine tool” type parts, no larger than 6 inches in any dimension, and I would expect not much smaller than an inch or so. I can picture machining a prototype part, and once it’s finished, scanning it to allow us to make more parts the same way.

Metal and plastic parts (opaque transperant,translucent)(medical devices), 6 inches in any dimension ok- less than or slightly more than one inch also needed.
Inner profile and shape also to be scanned. What 3d modelling/cad software needed to join different surfaces of a part after scanning.(stiching), what will be the prerequisites of the technical staff to do this job?

How much accuracy and resolution do we need... I will try to get figures that relate to our needs. For accuracy, I’m pretty sure 50 microns will not be good enough and 5 microns is more than we need. I will ask Rajasekar, along with a question about the required resolution.
5 microns may be ok

How fast do we need it to scan? I don’t see that as a main concern. We are only going to be scanning “static objects”. If scanning more slowly gives us better results in a longer time, I think that will be acceptable.
yes

Data storage: After the scanning is completed, I assume the data will be stored on our computer system, possibly for use in re-creating the object in a 3D printer, possibly with modifications. I already know of parts such as a mobile phone “case” that we may scan, so that we can print more of them.

Sometimes scanned data copied to 3d modelling software like solidworks/pro-e, do the required changes if required and converted to a file format suitable for 3d printing

I assume the scanner will be set up in an “office” environment, or a separate room kept more or less like a laboratory. Not knowing more about scanners, I’m not sure what else we might have to do, other than cover it when not in use. I’m assuming normal office lighting won’t interfere with the scanner. If it did, we would change the lighting to something more appropriate.

Normal office environment

I assume the above answers will allow us to calculate the cost range for the scanner. I don’t see us trying to make something fit into a budget, but I do see us trying to keep the cost reasonable by not including features or capability that we don’t expect to need.

We have an engineering department. As a group, I assume they will learn how to use the scanner. As with anything else, learning how to use the scanner effectively will take time, but I don’t understand enough to say much more. I assumed we would put a part in front of the scanner, start the scan, and after a certain amount of time, the scan would complete. As with a camera, there are probably a lot of settings to adjust before the scan – but I don’t know anything about these, let alone how difficult they are to learn.
Yes

Well, that's the best I've been able to come up with to suggest what we think are our requirements. I have a feeling that we may need to re-evaluate some of these requirements, as I think the cost of what I've described is going to be more than will be approved. I read that an accuracy of 5 microns would be very costly. Other than that, everything seems reasonable to me, which is scary as I don't know enough yet to say that. Maybe I should say it sounds in line with what I've been reading over the past few weeks.

There will be one other requirement - I should have listed it long ago. The printer is going to be use in South India, and it would be best if we were to purchase it from a company that provides support in that part of the world. I guess that can come later on - the first step is to find which 3D printers can do these things. Thanks!!!!!!!!!