Close

Hybrid View

Add printbus on Thingiverse
    Never seen or heard of an E3D v6 hot end for 1.75mm that doesn't have a PTFE liner in the heatsink. Is this some form of E3D knock off? Where was it purchased?

Have you tried another roll of filament, preferably from a different source? "...hear a popping sound..." could be excessive moisture in the filament.

What is happening with the Wades gears when you run into one of the extrusion gaps? Do the gears keep rotating through it all as they should?

Are retractions enabled? A single width wall shouldn't be applying retractions anywhere but possibly the layer shift point. If retractions are occurring (look at the gcode layer by layer in a viewer like gcode.ws if necessary to verify), it could be that you're retracting way too much.

Quote Originally Posted by printbus View Post
    Never seen or heard of an E3D v6 hot end for 1.75mm that doesn't have a PTFE liner in the heatsink. Is this some form of E3D knock off? Where was it purchased?

Have you tried another roll of filament, preferably from a different source? "...hear a popping sound..." could be excessive moisture in the filament.

What is happening with the Wades gears when you run into one of the extrusion gaps? Do the gears keep rotating through it all as they should?

Are retractions enabled? A single width wall shouldn't be applying retractions anywhere but possibly the layer shift point. If retractions are occurring (look at the gcode layer by layer in a viewer like gcode.ws if necessary to verify), it could be that you're retracting way too much.
    I bought the kit (including the hotend) at Orballo printing.

My PLA (BQ) is fairly new (3 weeks today). I also tried ABS++ (FFF), still saw irregularities in the extrusion stream. (Meanwhile i baked silica beads and am storing my filaments in an "airtight" container now.)

The gears keep running, no indication of slippage/obstructions anywhere.

I have had retractions enabled (@ 2.5mm instead of the default 10!), but for most prints disabled (Dont think it mattered in my prints). There are no layer shift points (maybe one, from bottom to wall) i have been printing in spirals.

Add printbus on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by Reaping miner View Post
    I bought the kit (including the hotend) at Orballo printing.
    While the hot end appears to be all metal, I'm not sure that's an e3d v6.

Technologist
    Quote Originally Posted by printbus View Post
    While the hot end appears to be all metal, I'm not sure that's an e3d v6.
    In my case, Certainly my E3d v6 was genuine and it was not fitted with ptfe tubing or a liner. The Bowden tube must run all the way down to the heat break. In my case, I inserted a shorter length into the extruder to make removing the Bowden easier when clearing jams.

Appreciate that direct drive extruders will require just a short length within the extruder, but it's important that the tube is a fairly tight fit as it has a tendency to move with retraction and leaves enough of a gap for soft filament to spread and jam.
    Last edited by noiseboy72; 07-27-2016 at 01:03 PM.