Close

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by Hankus View Post
    Cleaning up the wiring took most of my time and attention. I invested $14 in a Hobbyking JST-HS Crimping tool, and about 3 dozen female servo pins and shortened about 75% of all my wiring cables which helped a lot.
    Likewise, the wiring cleanup seems the most "demanding" task of the whole build. Just waiting for the JST connectors and pins to arrive. Otherwise, like lakestar, the build went pretty good for me apart from a large percentage of the M3 nuts being sub-par.

Student
    Quote Originally Posted by ex-egll View Post
    Likewise, the wiring cleanup seems the most "demanding" task of the whole build. Just waiting for the JST connectors and pins to arrive. Otherwise, like lakestar, the build went pretty good for me apart from a large percentage of the M3 nuts being sub-par.
    I agree with the M3 nuts. Consistent quality out of China is a problem. I went to a local hardware store chain in my area and found M3 nuts that were FULL dimension and didn't spin in the wood "nut traps".
    Last edited by Hankus; 05-04-2015 at 01:03 PM.

Technologist

slow progress...

Things got kinda slowed down owing to what seemed to be discrepancies in the build guide(s). The information was more or less there, but in the wrong order. An email to Colin got the response that I was probably using the old build guide.

Sure enough, the new guide et al ordered the steps in a more sensible fashion for my particular H/W combo (RUMBA w/ Hex hot-end).

While reviewing the new docs...

Had cause to review things w/ my Z-motor install. Heh..., forgot to tighten the X-idler assy..., which led me to a better leveling of things. So +1 to the new docs for that one.

OTOH, all mention of wiring power for the RUMBA has gone missing, both in the main guide and in the RUMBA wiring guide. Sure..., the diagram was there..., but the words regarding which gauge of wire to use where are a nice reminder/checklist item. Sent word to Colin.

Lastly, and I'm not sure this was mentioned in any version of the docs that relate to the RUMBA..., I happened to be watching the old RAMPS install vid on youtube. THERE you will find mention of the heatsinks for the stepper drivers. NOW I know what that little packet of what looked like some kind of connector bodies are for. They're heatsinks! Not mentioned in any of the current docs it seems.

I don't know if they're genuinely necessary..., but they seem like a "not bad idea"..., so they will be installed tomorrow.

Since the last report..., at least made the following progress:

• End-stops installed.
    • RUMBA firmware uploaded and verified to be talking to the LCD.
    • Extruder assembled.

Hopefully will remember to swing by the glass shop tomorrow, and will get at least some of the power related wiring done.

That is all!