Close

Hybrid View

Student
    Quote Originally Posted by printbus View Post
    Ah. You guys are talking about the M5 bolts and the nut plates? I know I had a problem on my i3v with the M5 bolts bottoming out, evidenced by a ring from the bolt being cut into the far side of the channel in the extrusion. I solved that by filing off the machining ridge left on the threaded end of the bolts or by adding a washer under the bolt head.
    Actually its the bolts that screw into the end of the 20x20 extrusions.

I think I may try to find slightly shorter M5 bolts. I don't have the tools to do any tapping. If I can't find the bolts, I'll reach out to Colin.

Engineer-in-Training
    Quote Originally Posted by microjedi View Post
    Actually its the bolts that screw into the end of the 20x20 extrusions.

I think I may try to find slightly shorter M5 bolts. I don't have the tools to do any tapping. If I can't find the bolts, I'll reach out to Colin.
    Hi

If we are talking about this:

227_ - 1.jpg

.... and not this (the tiny thing in the middle of the picture):

227_ - 2.jpg

There are two bolts on the first part. Both can be problems. The horizontal one can have an issue with the tapping of the extrusion. The solution for that is a tap or a new part (if it is stripped out). The vertical bolt goes into an insert. The insert can strip out and may need to be replaced. The bolt may be to long and you need to grab the right one. If the insert is stripped out, a snap in insert is an easy thing to replace it with.

If we are talking about the second mounting structure for the Y axis (second picture), there are a whole bunch of things related to that mount.

Bob