Quote Originally Posted by tpete61 View Post
The Duetwifi has a 32 bit processor. That alone doesn't make one board substantially better than another that I can see. There are a number of other things that are different. The stepper drivers are much better. The duet has expansion capabilities that the Smoothie does not. I'm not an electrical engineer but they are certainly different and one might want to make comparisons based on desirability of certain features.
Agreed. The question on the table was whether anyone had updates on replacing RAMPS with a Smoothieboard, which is what I've tried to address. I'll clarify that I wasn't trying to come across as a Smoothieboard fan-boy. There's probably some number of boards that can be argued as "better" than smoothie, especially viewed from the needs of a particular user. Even in early 2015 when I bought my Smoothieboard I was aware it wasn't the latest thing out there. But my priorities at the time were in migrating to a board with a proven track record, immediate availability, access to support, having a firmware solution not built on Arduino, and where firmware development was occurring with more structure and test than what Marlin had at the time.