Close

Hybrid View

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    Ah - thought you were making the blade.

Sounds like you need to redesign your hilts or change the settings when you print them.
    Or use pet.
    Or polymaker polymax: http://www.polymaker.com/shop/polymax/

Another approach would be to use polyflex. If printed fairly solid it gives a hardish plastic type that's pretty much unbreakable (short of using something like a table saw - you won't be able to damage it - it'll laugh at a sledge hammer) and still has a little flex.

Also if you're pla is cracking along layer lines - you're printing it at too cold a temperature. Forget the 'print as low as you can' nonsense - it's simply that: nonsense. print it as high as you can and still manitain clean and sharp prints. That gives you much much stronger end prints.
    I've found that 210 is ideal for most pla. polyflex I think I print at 220 - it wasn't printing that well until I looked at the recommended temps on the packet :-) And now it does.

For weight simply mix sand with pva to a stiff paste and stuff that into any voids in the handle. Will add weight and strength and is way cheaper than epoxy as well as heavier. For real weight use a sand and lead shot mix.