I am a technical sales rep. for an Ottawa, Ontario firm that sells MakerBot and 3D Systems equipment, ranging from the sub-1000 Cube to the $450,000 + Pro X series. Our average printer sale is $80,000. The price is not really the important consideration when selecting a 3D printer, at least not when you should first select the technology.

3D printers are only tools. Hammer, screwdriver, wrench, saw - these are also tools.

Is a $10 hammer better than a $2 screwdriver? Not when you are trying to drive a screw!

Likewise, people should first select the technology they need and then determine which model/manufacturer provides the best bang for the buck.

I needed a bunch of TARDIS models made, so I used a MakerBot - it provided the quality, materials and speed that I needed. I didn't use our $80,000 ProJet HD 3000 since I didn't require an exceptionally high accuracy, smooth surfaced, acrylic model.

Our company also offers a 3D print service, so we can provide a variety of printing technologies so our clients don't have to buy a 3D printer.

Of course, it would be great to see a list of equipment, sorted by technology and then ranked by price. That would be a monumental undertaking!