Quote Originally Posted by LambdaFF View Post
You need somebody who owns or owned both types of printers. Someone who actually bothered to have 2 non compatible filament diameters.

You see that is unlikely right ?

What I would say on this is simple : 3mm filament extruders are generally admitted to have higher output pressure (because bigger diameter), which would point to greater ooze. However, as explained above, the nozzle diameter has an impact too. I think it's safe to say as well that wether you have an all metal hotend with active cooling or not, the fine tuning of your retraction & temp settings.... all very important parameters.

If you're trying to decide whether 3mm or 1,75mm, 3mm filaments have a clear edge when it comes to high speed large volumes (think volcano hot end for instance). For precision works or up to midsize prints the 1,75mm diameter would be more effective.

That doesn't address the ooze issue, but I think other parameters have just as much influence on the end result : all metal hotend with active cooling or not, the fine tuning of your retraction & temp settings....

Yeah, I guess I am looking for someone with experience in 3mm and 1.75mm. Right now I have a 3mm setup and I am getting some ooze. I read that a 1.75mm has less potential for ooze and a higher resolution due to the amount of filament needed to be extruded vs a 3mm setup.

I am contemplating making the switch to 1.75mm. I am using a e3dv6 hot end and have recently added a part cooling fan to my printer. The jury is still out on its effectiveness as I haven't had the need to print any parts of any significance.