Close

Thread: 10" Regret?

Threaded View

Add printbus on Thingiverse
    I think it mostly depends on what you plan to print. Some have plans to print R/C car bodies or full size helmets that require the large space. Some have production needs requiring printing many identical parts at the same time, also forcing a large print bed. I have an 8-inch, and for the year I've had it, I've never wanted to print anything bigger than that. But that's just me. Takes too dang long to print large items for one thing.

If you're printing with a heated bed, you're dissipating more heat into the room with the larger heat beds. Some might have issue with that. Power supply and relay wiring to the larger heat beds gets to be pretty critical. Due to the higher current, connector melt-downs have been frequent on the 12-inch printer. Also, IIRC, warping issues have been minimal with the 8-inch printer. The 10 and 12 inch printers have larger wood pieces that are going to have a higher risk of warping.

EDIT: Another consideration... if you plan to do a lot with ABS, you'll likely grow to want the printer inside an enclosure in order to keep the entire print volume at a warm temperature. That gets tougher to do as the printer gets bigger.
    Last edited by printbus; 08-25-2015 at 11:07 PM.