I checked earlier today, and it looks like the 12" I3V build guide has been updated with the RUMBA and pwr supply info, and FWIW, the build order is now correct for the RUMBA/Hexagon combo.

Quote Originally Posted by Hankus View Post
Had the same issues with my RAMPS wiring guide and the exact same response from Colin. If at the beginning of the build guide you're specifically told you will need to purchase 3' of 12awg and 6' of 16awg speaker wire, and then never mention either item again in the build, leaves one hanging. Updating the wiring diagrams should at least help to a large degree.
More or less made expected progress today, Got the glass and the machine now runs on its own power (as opposed to running the RUMBA off of USB during firmware install). The HB thermistor says it's 19C..., and so it is. Apparently can't try heating the bed until the hot-end is installed as well, though the bed is fully wired.

I gotta say..., the wiring is very UNsatisfying. It looks like I'll be wiring it "the first time" to get things running, and then refining it over time. I had visions of just doing right the first time, but kept hitting little hiccups along the way..., so I decided to be more pragmatic.

One hiccup was especially frustrating. The X-motor stepper cable can't reach the controller. Not no way. Not no how.

Coincidentally, the kit was packaged with six servo cables (of color scheme differing from the stepper's), with female connectors at BOTH ends. So..., you're supposed to bleep'n splice a servo cable onto the stepper cable for the X-motor.

Umm..., sorry..., that just feels lame. It's a pity that producing pre-made wiring harnesses for I3Vs isn't a viable business, cuz it could sure benefit from it.

In theory, there's not much left to do, but I'm not sure when my next block of "quality time" will present itself.

We shall see.

That is all!