Hey guys, Matt here from Tiko!

It's exciting to see all the debates over WiFi, it reminds me of the pros-cons lists we made when choosing between USB and WiFi. I don't want to reveal all the details before the campaign, but there are a couple of things you should know going in.

First off, Tiko is absolutely not a "cheap" 3D printer. Yes, it's unbelievably inexpensive, but that's only because we developed a number of world-first technologies that dramatically dropped our production costs, while maintaining/improving the functionality and quality of the printer.

We'll be doing an AMA on Reddit during the campaign, where we'll be happy to geek out on all the details, but the tl;dr version is that USB wasn't as cheap as you'd think, and WiFi chips have gotten much less expensive than you'd think. Switching to WiFi didn't have a large impact on our production cost, but it opened up a ton of cool possibilities, so we ran with it.

I feel your uneasiness - many a 3D printer have incorporated WiFi and done a bad job. That's because it always ends up being an "add-on" and doesn't receive as much attention as the rest of the printer. So, we decided early on that we would either do USB or WiFi, but not both, and fully commit to perfecting whichever we chose. We chose WiFi, and we think you'll love us for it once you try it.

In any case, the campaign is coming sooner than you think, till then, stay curious!