Close

Thread: PETG Filament

PETG Filament

I bought some eSun PETG filament to try this past week after hearing that it was easy to use like PLA and seeing the beautiful colors it was available in and thought I would share a sample print.

This print ended abruptly as I apparently turned the stepper driver too low on the Z axis, so please excuse the top.

This was printed at 250C/100C at 0.2mm layer height. It is difficult to capture the "sparklies" in the coloring, but this should give you some idea.

Wow, you print that stuff a lot hotter than I do. I print it at 230/80 (and check it with my ir thermometer).

Quote Originally Posted by ssayer View Post
    Wow, you print that stuff a lot hotter than I do. I print it at 230/80 (and check it with my ir thermometer).
    I just put it in the middle of the range, I will lower it as that uses less power and takes longer to heat up.

I always print as low temp as I can get away with. I'll print a test piece and keep lowering the temp until the extruder starts clicking, then bump it up from there about 5 degrees and mark the temp on the spool for reference on future prints.

I always print at a temp that gives the finish i desire... Not sure if PETG acts like pla and comes out glossy at higher temps though.

That sounds like a good plan. I'm still new to 3D printing, so that is helpful information.

That print was without a print cooling fan, do you run one on your PETG prints?

I only run an active cooling fan with PETG on parts that have thin "branches" or overhangs, and like PLA, I don't have the active cooling fan come on until after the first 2 or 3 layers.

Yes, PETG comes out "glossier" at higher temps. Get it too high though, and it'll be runny for sure...

Engineer
    i have run the esun stuff from 235 to 265. anywhere in there works. too low and layer adhesion will suffer. for normal print with esun i have found 245 to be the sweet spot. good layer adhesion, not too runny or stringy. 265 and your print will have way more clarity. same as ssayer, i dont use active cooling unless its something with little tiny details that are prone to heat soak.

Like jimc says, the esun stuff definitely runs hotter than the Gizmo Dorks stuff. I run it 8 degrees hotter and could run it a bit higher while still being happy (238/80). Of course the difference may be that the Gizmo Dorks stuff I have is white, while the esun stuff I have is translucent colors (that's why everything gets tested and marked for temp on it's own spool!)...

Thanks guys! Here is a picture of the print actually completed. I love the coloring of it.