Close

Technologist

i3v 12" TMJ Build Log

I'm just posting a Starter or main i will be filling this in over the next 2 weeks i build this thing and what things i change and why
    please do not post tell i clam the first 5 posts (Done)
    Shipped feel free to track it
    http://www.stamps.com/shipstatus/sub...99561649791281

project outline
    build a nicer i3 then Printbus. ok this is a joke but at least as nice.
    lets face it all stubborn bastards want the best but life keeps it at bay
    this project is my way of using free time as i fight stage 4 cancer.
    i have never been the time of person to sit still i own a machine shop have 57 employees
    and spend every dime i make on my heath and the health of my company and the family's involved with it

steps. order things will be Done

1. recreate the printer in solidworks to within ±.05mm from parts apx 2days based on free time
    2. build main frame and test all fit
    3. prep main frame for automotive grade paint job and Pinstriping :-P
    4. send to paint
    5. start building all other base components sand clean a paint
    6. take aluminum parts to work for Electropolishing and maybe copper-nickel plating
    7. replace most hardware with stainless Hex hardware if needed
    8. pickup main frame, clean, wet sand, polish, then glaze to perfection
    9. completely build finished printer without electronics
    10. plan then re plan all wiring
    11. install wiring with quick connects
    12. test printer
    13. install auto bed leveling (ABL from now on)
    14. retest printer
    15. test part eject script and part scraper
    16. install custom dual Z max end stop controller and external driver for independent z control
    17. test custom auto gantry leveling system
    18. retest printer
    19. Install in custom built home with full environment control system.
    20. test at control environment temps
    21. test custom built Octoprint
    22. Complete add printer to 3dhubs
    23. use to build prototype parts for mega print&cut by TMJ
    24. use mega Print&Cut to build body for custom built "shell ECO Car" named 2for1
    25. (bodyless testing 1547.3mpg avg at 40mph with 2 people in it me and my bag = 430lbs rider weight)

take lots of photos along the way
    share teaser photos of custom 5ft by 9ft by 4ft printer / router I'm building aka Mega Print/Cut or "MPC unit" they are linkable
    Last edited by TechMasterJoe; 12-12-2014 at 04:45 AM.

Technologist
    First Major Update:
    Kit is here all parts accounted for
    Wire is here waiting for PCB from OshPark (ATX PC PSU control board)
    and 2mm acme TR8*12 and anti-backlash nuts ETA 3days
    picked up fender washers for all the m5 bolts it needed them bad
    finished layer change firmware mod (moves head and toggles snap shot at a settable Z points triggers by gcode Z not head location so ABL can't false trigger it)

parts removed from panels and lightly sanded
    built frame just to check fit then pulled apart to have painted
    Main frame parts dropped off for pro paint job
    Colors to be used will be Black with Orange Trim
    most parts will be color matched spray paint simply because i don't want to wait..
    most of the CAD is done
    hotend built, X brackets painted & built, got alu parts ready for work tomorrow (polishing).
    started laying out the wiring , using DEANS micro 4pins at the Extruders & X axis steppers
    using 2 pin micro Deans at the end-stops, and spiral wire wrap over the cables.
    gantry using real cable carriers from igus (ID 25mm H X 38mm W | 100mm bend Radius B15-038-100) and 3mm id tubing to feed filament
    from base so nothing simply hangs it's a near full closed loop will be installed after the fact (using printer to make mounts)

ok guys my only real day off is Sunday so next update is a hand toss. if you have any ideas please let them be heard.
    stay on or off topic i don't mind
    Last edited by TechMasterJoe; 12-14-2014 at 05:05 PM.

Technologist
    claimed for updates pt1

Technologist
    claimed for updates pt2

Technologist
    claimed for updates about full custom firmware FOR both RAMBO and Ramps boards btw i know how to write pure custom firmware if anyone needs help with settings.

this spot will also be for all settings how and why they are changed and how to change them

feel free to post now
    Last edited by TechMasterJoe; 12-13-2014 at 01:14 PM.

Engineer
    I'm looking forward to step #15, as that is the point where I am at now. I can do everything on my printer remotely except clean off ooze, replace filament, and clear the printbed ready for another print.

Technologist
    Quote Originally Posted by AbuMaia View Post
    I'm looking forward to step #15, as that is the point where I am at now. I can do everything on my printer remotely except clean off ooze, replace filament, and clear the printbed ready for another print.
    ooze i take care of with a simple servo, an arm and a python script on the pi
    but i will be adding a custom g code to marlin soon to take over this job

filament is best delt with by changing to dual or multi-extruder setup and adding filament sensors 95% of the code is in marlin as is
    print bed is another can of worms i picked up a higher torque 72mm long nema 17 (122oz) and a 16 tooth pulley for Y bed
    the printer will be bolted to 3/4in thick MDF just to make it less prone to twisting when it starts pushing parts off
    the scraper is nothing more then 1/8in 7075-t6 bolted to the back of the gantry that sits about 1mm above the print head
    i plan on making it so the print head is off glass at home X just a tad so i can bring it all the way down if that makes sense

this scraper gives me a good place for a strip of LEDS to back-light the gantry, and makes the gantry rock solid.
    the rest is just a simple end gcode script.

Technician
    I hate to do it... I know this thread is a bit old.. but I have to know Did you ever finish this?? I'd love to see the pictures! It sounds amazing.

A bit old? Nah all the mods hes doing and in his free time hes probably still writing code :-)

He'll update when hes able