Close

Hybrid View

Staff Engineer
    You say that " this project was born from love for innovation, freedom, artists and makers." But how does giving ones work away support innovation? What kind of freedom can one have in this society without making any money? How do you help artists by subverting their markets? What kind of a "maker" are you if all you do is download other people's stuff, print and sell it?

If everything about this site is free, how is it going to sustain itself? Selling Google ads?

Andrew Werby
    Juxtamorph.com

Quote Originally Posted by awerby View Post
    You say that " this project was born from love for innovation, freedom, artists and makers." But how does giving ones work away support innovation? What kind of freedom can one have in this society without making any money? How do you help artists by subverting their markets? What kind of a "maker" are you if all you do is download other people's stuff, print and sell it?

If everything about this site is free, how is it going to sustain itself? Selling Google ads?

Andrew Werby
    Juxtamorph.com

Dear Andrew,

i liked your questions and i would have loved even more to talk with you directly while drinking something and sharing our thoughts.
    There is a common denominator in all of your questions and it's money: payment for your work, money for living, earning money from selling items.

While i do respect your ideas, all people are different and each one of us has got shades. For example I did (and i'll hope to have time to do it again) lots of 'personal works' just for passion, to improve myself and because i really loved doing that.
    Maybe no one will view this stuff, but i don't care because i did it for myself. That's my opinion of art as a full expression of ourselves free from any mental and/or physical chain that society impose to us everyday.

I liked that quote of Henry Ford featured on the homepage of Makershape (although i didn't really liked some bad things he did during his life...) because it's an expression of these values along with innovation.

You say 'it's right to be payed for this creations' and i don't say that's wrong, but i don't agree for example with lots of designers taking advantage of this excitement about 3D printing just for making money (and i could have done that easily too). We aren't all rich and not all people do stuff for money.

About ADS: i like to be transparent. During last months it has been the biggest problem in my mind: 'How can i pay for the servers and bandwidth? omg how can i do that with an increasing member base?'. I had payed for the first 6 months and you know what i ended up thinking? Maybe the people will help me keeping it up, because i believe i'm not the only one thinking like this. I'll give more choices and people will choose what's the best one.
    Otherwise i will still be proud of what i've done and i'll just go back to my job