need to wire up my small steppers

the original extruder stepper has
    blue, yellow, green, red wires

new stepper has

blue, red, green,black

can someone assist in letting me know what wires to connect to what

havent been able to find it online, makerfarm doc or videos

Add printbus on Thingiverse
    Lacking a response from anyone who's actually wired in the NEMA14 motors...

The stepper motors have two windings. In the original motor, one winding is connected to the red and green wires, and the other winding is connected to the yellow and blue wires. You can verify this by measuring the resistance between those wire pairs - they should read pretty low - say 20 ohms or less.

I'd start by figuring out which wire colors are connected to windings on the new motor using the meter. Since only one wire color is different for the new motors, maybe it'll still be red-green for one pair but now the other pair is blue-black. If this is the case, arrange the wires in the RAMPS/RAMBO connector in the same way the old motor was, except use the black wire where the yellow one used to be.

EDIT: Regardless, just wire up the new motors so that winding wire pairs connect the same way wire pairs did on the original motors, even if you can't be sure how to tell the two wires for a pair apart.

If the motor spins in the direction opposite from what you want/need, reverse the four wire connections 180 degrees. On RAMPS, the 180 degrees can be done by just flipping the connector around, if that helps clarify what I mean.
    Last edited by printbus; 01-25-2015 at 09:01 PM. Reason: removed possibly incorrect test info

Technologist
    Add truly_bent on Shapeways
    Here are a couple of stepper motor tutorials (#1, #2). One of them should help.

Add printbus on Thingiverse
    If the NEMA14 motors are the ones suggested by clough42, Pololu does provide the datasheet for the motors at https://www.pololu.com/file/0J689/SY35ST36-1004A.pdf. That shows one winding is the black-green wire pair, and the other winding is the red-blue pair.

Engineer
    I got it all wired up fine, thanks for your help

here is how i have it now, for future reference

Attached Images Attached Images