Quote Originally Posted by printbus View Post
I also had obtained some aluminum rail slot covers from Openbuildpartstore. In addition to possibly being used for decoration, the slot covers can be used to create a wire raceway in the aluminum rails.
I liked this idea, and incorporated it in my own printer. I've got the covers on the top slots of the Y rails, the front slots, bottom slot of the top rail and top slot of the bottom rail of the X rails, and the front slots of the Z rails.

I did have some trouble with the Z covers and the lower X cover moving. The Z covers slid down due to gravity, but the lower front X cover was moved by the bolt heads holding the X carriage extruder shelf rubbing against it. The Y covers are held in place by the wood pieces front and back, plus nothing rubs them.

For the bottom of the Z rails, and the ends of the X rails, I put a washer on an M5 bolt and screwed it into the threaded center hole of the rails. The washer is just large enough to hold the covers in place, since the M5 bolt head is not. I did try to superglue the covers in place, but that just left a white film on the covers, and didn't hold long anyway. The bolts are unobtrusive and do the job well.