Quote Originally Posted by DrUsual View Post
Disclaimer: I'm very new to this. One solution that I've read but haven't tried yet is to print in PLA, but use ABS in the second extruder to do the supports. I'm going to give that a try sometime this week; I just started getting a lot more successful ABS prints now that I'm using a glass bed. From what I understand, you can use acetone to help dissolve away the ABS.

The other possibility that I've read is to disable supports and build your own in the model. This came up when I was looking at how to make an enclosed hinge -- the advice was to make a minimal connection between the pin and loop in the hinge, allowing the "free" floating pin once the hinge is moved once and that connection is broken.

I've tried reducing the Infill setting in Flashprint, but I don't see much of a difference in the supporting material...
Just make sure your ABS is as low printing temp as possible, or close to the PLA as you can. If you print on one side at say 180c and the other at 230c, you will see some serious issues (like plastic being heated up again after cooling down, which can cause those crappy lifting corners on the sharp edges, top layer... but if you can get it around 210c for the PLA and 225c for the ABS, it's a good mix.

As for supports, yep, as said above this is your program, not your printer. Switch to something else and give it a go.