I upgraded when I got the printer straight away - foolishly I took the Replicator 1.0 title to be the actual firmware revision, but upgraded it to 7.5 without a hitch and have been getting some very very good prints from it - did some .1 layer stuff last night and it came out flawlessly following the excellent tips I have read on this very forum for temperatures and the like.

It did work when it came out the box - I plugged in the card which was a no-name 4GB card and it just came up with an empty selection for printing, which is because it contained no files it could use I expect (had some docs, software zips and a few STL's on it).
When I put in a FAT32 card it will come up card read error - so I gathered it didn't support that format. I put a few x3g's on the original card and now that also says card read error, no change to the format, just dropped on a couple hundred KB worth of files I wanted to leave going which I watched some TV in the other room. There is I suppose the potential for files that it can't understand being on the card being an issue so will give that a play later.

Files are all exported from Simplify 3d (highly recommended bit of software, was well worth the purchase for my needs personally) and the same file loads from the SD card and prints fine over USB from the PC.

I will also check out the potential for a wiring issue - I have had the bottom off it more than once, first time was curiosity and to look at the god awful whining motherboard fan and the other time was to retrieve my allen key .

Will keep you posted, I get the suspicion that it is the cards now - at least I can concentrate on small, slow cards with FAT format now Must have an old 1GB or smaller SD some place in the house.