Quote Originally Posted by Serena View Post
Yeah it does seem it's too hot- especially since there is a little burning on the edges. At this point I'm using everything at just about default settings so I will start tweaking some of the temps and see if it helps anything. Yes I loved your "Marvin" thread- very helpful to see what other people try and how it turns out for them! I haven't even tried PLA yet. It looks more translucent in pictures which I think looks great on certain items. Does it look like that IRL? I thought my printer may come with a roll of each but both are ABS.

Thanks so much to all of you for helping with this! Just knowing there are real live people to ask for help has made trying to learn this new toy much less intimidating!
To set up the right temperature, you should extrude a bit of your material before printing products. Because this supposedly differs for every material you buy, meaning ABS from manufacturer A doesn't equal ABS from manufacturer B.

A good way would be to connect via USB and simply heat up the extruder and extrude a bit of material. If it works good (without clicking or anything), then lower temperature by 5 degrees and try again.
Once it start clicking or not extruding well (MIN TEMP) just increase that temp by 5~10 degrees and you should be all set.

I recently lowered my temp by a lot resulting in much better accuracy of my prints, will post a showcase topic about it later today.

Regarding PLA: if the walls are thin enough it will allow light to pass through easily giving it a milky-translucent appearance. Though any walls larger than 1[mm] will nullify this effect almost completely.