Close

Threaded View

Yes it works! The PLA comes out, bonds firmly with its previous layer and cools down immediately! No warping!

It's a 40[mm] sphere with a flat bottom (as provided by Curious Aardvark)
    The fact that you can see 'ripple circles' on the sides means that this is the maximum X-Y precision that this machine can handle (for now?)

Top looks pretty good too!

But then there's this:

It was printing in clockwise direction; so after every layer change it shook a bit and created this ripple effect. Near the end I figured that this was probably because the part didn't adhere that well to the surface (because it was almost tipping over the ball itself.. but it kept on printing!! What a trooper!)
    I will keep an eye out of it 'might' just be the machine shaking.. but for now I'm assuming that this is just not good enough adhesion.

"BuildTak? What's up with that?", I thought..
    So I read there website again and figured I might need to move the extruder head close to the surface.. but it doesn't extrude the first layer properly if I do this...

SO, for now this is my solution:
    While building the first layer I push (by hand) the build plate upward in pulses.. (every one second I give it a little push) and it VISIBLY adheres the material at the point where I push it upwards (like point-welding!)

Still, not too happy with this.. might need to try using glue stick again..
    Also not sure if this is because of the BuildTak, or the material, or the fact that the build plate is bend (at least 0.4[mm] differences between center and sides.)

I hope people can assist me with some of my issues, and I also hope that this is helpful for other people! As long as people find it at least interesting I'll keep updating with more 'test-prints'.

EDIT:
    Also I found this pretty interesting;

The PLA sphere had no issues at all with the overhanging parts, while the ABS one is struggling in that area! Going to do some more testing and pretty soon I'll be able to make some quality figurines from PLA I think!

My overall progress so far:

All PLA (blue) parts in the front are a few weeks old, the one shown in the posts above are made last week.
    Hehe, so happy I am understanding a bit more about 3D printing now!
    Last edited by Dargonfly; 09-15-2014 at 04:54 AM. Reason: more info