The saying, "you get what you pay for" is very true when it comes to filament. Lower quality filament can have embedded debris, non-uniform formulation and poor tolerances. These issues can cause clogs, poor layer adhesion and other printing problems which all result in failed prints and clogged nozzles. The few dollars more you spend on quality plastic ends up saving you a lot of time and hassle in the end. Thats not to say that you can't get ok prints from lower quality plastic, it's just that it takes a lot more time and it only takes a few failed prints to lose the few dollars you save.

Before I got into 3D printing professionally it took me buying a few rolls and learning the hard way. Once you find a source you like, stick with it. ABS is a little bit more tricky then PLA to print. If you are just learning to 3D print I would recommend you start with natural ABS to get a feel for it. Filament is colored with additives which have an effect on printing performance. Natural filament doesn't have these fillers and gives you a good baseline to start from. Thats not to say that you can't pick up some color abs and have a go at it, I have just found it to be easier to perfect my prints with natural and then tweak for different colors.