Close

Threaded View

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by FreshDA9 View Post
    Thank you Larry for the welcome.

I guess I first need to look into the materials of what im building. I was thinking of using a glass or maybe even a mirror for the printing surface (not sure how well mirror would take heat but would be good to see the head better if problems arise). I hear a lot of chatter about 3d printers catching fire, I would assume its do to faulty wiring or heating of the head? So would utilizing a copper plate and using a liquid cooled cpu system keep the head at a maintained temperature (could add a temperature sensor and target or fail-safe temps in the programming). I have access to a Makerbot Replicator 2x at my school and they are not currently charging students to use it. So I would like to make a layout soon and build list and take advantage of this service.

When i get time im going to explore this forum and some stickies but i currently type this from school and im on the move LOL!
    Hi Fresh, Welcome,

Mirror = bad idea, you will find it as you said cracking from heat.
    Glass, must be Pyrex / Boroscilliate to withstand that heat.

3D printers do not generally catch fire, or not that I am aware of from here and many other printing forums, it often happens from incorrect assembly, lack of insulation etc or general electronic fault but I am yet to see that actually set fire to the machine. The only time I've seen it is when someone forced it, and did not use a cooling fan. Fans essential. If a hot end runs without cooling, yes it will cook itself and most likely the wiring attached. Most firmware is designed to shut it all down when you get to a critical temperature also (by default around 275c)

People are leaving these things printing for 10.. 20..30 hours at a time and they are not catching fire so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

CPU liquid cooling and copper piping would be the same as it is in a PC, purely for show. You can achieve relevant cooling with a heatsink and a fan.

Use the one you have free access to. Pull it apart, break it, fix it... its a tax write off anyway for a school, if you can't fix it just blame the janitor and they'll buy a new one
    Last edited by Geoff; 08-14-2014 at 03:42 AM.