Close

Threaded View

Quote Originally Posted by printbus View Post
    Roxy's advice on rerolling spools is noted. I don't have an empty spool to try that on. Until I have one I'm going to experiment with different spool orientations and maybe filament guides. I'm thinking the top-side mount I have now is the worst possible orientation, at least with free-spinning bearings in the spool hubs.
    I didn't have an empty spool the first time I did this. What I did was hold the spool sideways and just let the remaining filament unspool and get pulled to the floor. And then I put it on a broom handle sitting on two chairs and wound it back up.

But here is something else to check for. I'm guessing a little bit but I think it explains things: I think some of these filament sellers buy big long monster rolls of filament. And they start with an empty spool and just start winding it onto the new, little spool and let it pull off 1 circle of filament at a time without letting the big roll of filament turn. If that is really being done, what you will see is one complete twist of the filament for each big spool length of the filament. I've had some rolls like that. If that is the case, as you are rewinding the filament, you end up having to do a pretty constant rotation of your spool. I've had it where every 4' of filament, I had to twist the new spool 1 turn.

This is a real nuisance, but if your filament is twisted on the spool that you are pulling it off of, it is going to cause all kinds of bad behavior.

Oh! And one more thing I tried... You can't do this all the time, but if you uncoil the whole spool of filament and then go up to a walkway that looks down on the lower floor, you can sometimes start winding the filament onto the new spool and it will just untwist as you pull it up and wind it on the new spool. Somehow, as you start putting it on the new spool, the twist gets stronger and stronger until it starts making the pile of filament on the lower floor start rotating. It will naturally untwist the right amount as you put it back on the spool. (Make sure your floor is clean with no dust... Or you will be feeding that into your nozzle)
    Last edited by Roxy; 07-27-2014 at 12:22 PM.