Close

Threaded View

Add printbus on Thingiverse
    HEAT BED CLIPS
    Binder clips in the SMALL size are the common method of clamping the print surface to the heat bed. I found the MINI size works out better. Even installed all the way, they aren't as likely to protrude into the printable area. The smaller wire wings also keeps them from getting in the way, so they're easier to just leave on.

For a clip installed to the rear left side of the heat bed, bending the wings a bit allows the clip to clear the left sidewall of the frame. Leaving the wings in place makes it easier to remove the glass, so I'm likely to clean it more often.

MICRO sized binder clips are also available, but I don't think they open wide enough to grab both the glass and heat bed when using 3mm glass.

FOLLOWUP COMMENT: Note that I am using glass that goes from one edge of the heat bed to the other edge, or about 8-3/8 inches in width. This allows me to use clips that don't encroach into the print area, minimizing the chance that the hot end nozzle will hit a clip during homing, etc.

FOLLOWUP COMMENT #2: IIRC, I obtained the mini clips from the office supplies area at Walmart. I think they came in a package of 70 for $4 USD.
    Last edited by printbus; 05-03-2015 at 07:25 AM. Reason: migrated to offsite image storage due to 3DPrintBoard issues