Quote Originally Posted by Roxy View Post
Open_SCAD is a programming language. Everything you do will be lines of text. But the Open_SCAD program will show you a 3 dimensional image of what your code is doing. When you install Open_SCAD, you will find a directory called 'examples'. You can look at that code and see what it produces.

I typically have a text editor open with what I'm working on and Open_SCAD open with the same file. You can edit the source code in Open_SCAD, but you are better off using your favorite editor. Open_SCAD detects when you update the file and starts a new render of its contents. So... You can make small changes and push things around pretty easily and see what happens.

I kind of doubt you need 12" x 12". First, anything that big will take forever to print and use a huge amount of plastic. But if you really do need something that big, you can break the part into several interlocking pieces and print the pieces a few at a time.

So I'm confused... I'm sorry, so the language is to design what will be cut... correct? Or is this the language that runs the printer. Such as windows is to a computer. Basically what is the benefit of using Open_SCAD over Solidworks? Or am I on completely separate pages here?

Also, what I might be printing would be quadcopter parts. Some of the arms are a 8-12 inches long, no wider that 2 inches for those, but some frames are in a 6x6 size. So maybe a printing area of 12x6x6?

Here is a link to what I might print:

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:32281

So maybe another way to look at this so maybe I will understand better... If I use the thingiverse file. In order to print it will coding need to be done (possible with Open_SCAD?) to have the arduino in working order? From what I'm getting Open_SCAD is simply drawing an object using code. So from there I prepare the printer by downloading firmware onto the arduino, and together I can print? (way more than that I know)....