Close

Threaded View

Technician
    Thanks everyone so much for your replies, this community definitely is very helpful!

I've purchased four of the 5x5mm couplers (off of ebay, cheaper than amazon), is that enough or do I need more? And I definitely plan to use threadlocker for the metal screws and bolts where necessary; has anyone also used wood glue when fitting together the printer? Or is that not ideal? I'm thinking about the heat (especially if I build an enclosure) and possible expansion/contraction of the glue.

Also I did go with an aluminum heat bed plate that mounts on top of the heat bed itself, so I'll let you all know how that goes. Probably will use cork underneath as everyone suggested for some insulation too.

So excited, my package arrives this coming Monday, practically refreshing the UPS page every few hours haha.

@gmay3 -- I definitely would like an aluminum extruder, Gregs' if I have to. I'm not too informed about extruder assemblies though. Eventually my goal was to have dual extrusion capabilities on my printer (I originally was eyeing the Ez3D Phoenix printer because of this, but 10-12wk lead time...), so I'll probably hold off on changing extruders (or adding another magma?) until I assemble and learn more. IF I go the aluminum route for Greg's, I'll let you all know about ordering so we can get a lower discount price .

@old man emu -- I definitely don't want to / can't use the spool holder as shown in the pics (I think it sits above?) due to space constraints. Ideally my printer height would be as short as possible. I'm thinking to create a holder in the rear, like I have seen on many other 'box' type 3d printers out there, and run the filament through the top back.

I just had a thought, how awesome would it be to have everything painted black (or some color), and utilize anodized aluminum screws where possible (thinking bright blue), then get some LED strip lighting for the inside of my enclosure to light everything up. Pimped out i3v!
    Last edited by cjalas; 05-16-2014 at 10:23 AM.