Close

Threaded View

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    I have stopped putting my original meshes on Thingiverse, simply because the copyright infringement is disgusting there and no one cares really.

I'll give you an example.. no names, just an example of something recently.

Someone uploaded a 3d model of a bust of a favourite star wars character some time back. This person is around 20 years old form what i've gathered.

Now, I found the exact same 3d model (and I mean polygon for polygon.. it's a perfect match, this is impossible to do with another model) but the funny thing.. it was made by someone 16 years ago, so unless this guy modelled it when he was Four years old, he is full of it. But it gets better.

I then read in the comments someone telling this 20 year old that people are selling his printed model on another site (which we should all remind ourselves at this point is a star wars licensed trademark and selling things from it could actually land you in hot water.) Do you want to take Disney on in court?)) So then this big mess starts because this fake author is stopping people from selling a print from a model, he didn't actually create himself, and is actually a licensed figure from Star Wars..

The irony of it all both sickens me and astounds me at the same time - all the while no one asks any questions....

Why don't they ask any questions?

Because they are all happy to get it for free and they don't care who made it or where it came from, it's just 'gimme gimme gimme' and that's what this society is becoming like. It's like Itunes killed the fun in the music industry. Kids want a new song? theres no going to the record shop or taping it off the radio, no they just click a button on their phone and it's there, instant gratification.

Until the Thingiverse community starts to heal itself, it will just become cancerous and I'm getting out now while I still have time for treatment.
    Last edited by Geoff; 05-12-2014 at 10:30 PM.