It's not massively complicated actually, no more than a standard delta, the kinematics are almost identical to a linear delta, you just change the radius rather than center point in your kinematics, and the drive system is a block and tackle, not complicated at all, you could make it even simpler and just have the fishing line just pull either side of the gear joint shut, the block and tackle is just for mechanical advantage (you could use this with belts, too, but not really any point). If anything it has fewer parts than a standard delta and the construction is less fussy and more rigid than getting three really tall towers evenly spaced and perfectly vertical, orthogonal and rigid.

Anyways, linear deltas are known for height, that's only because people build them ridiculously tall, it's not a required or inherent feature of deltas. You could just as easily make a Cartesian printer tall. Personally I don't print tall objects so this doesn't bother me, most practical prints are not that tall, just random rockets and vases that are tall. While this printer is much more compact, you still get a decent height. With a 250 mm bed diameter you get just over 210 mm as a max height, which is plenty for me and many others. That being said, that's only if you make it so the maximum extension of the arms is equal to the bed diameter, just print longer arms and your print volume gets taller (and wider). You could keep all your hardware the same and just print longer arms to get your desired height.

The main advantage is it's a heck of a lot cheaper than a linear delta. Compare the cost of long linear rails, linear bearings, long belts and long aluminium extrusion to a couple of 608 bearings, fishing line and some bolts which just about the only non printed part of this printer, bar electronics and motors etc which all printers need. If you want a different sized printer you can reuse all of your hardware to do it, on a delta to change the print volume you need completely new linear rods, extrusions and belts. The kicker? The bigger arms for a bigger printer can fit inside the original printers build volume.

Also, it looks awesome.

Don't jump to conclusions against this design, if you have any more questions/concerns feel free to ask.