Close

Threaded View

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    little cable ties are what I'm using to stop the springs walking. Cheap, and effective.
    I know it'e tempting, but sometimes non-3d printed solutions are easier :-)

I've got the springs at the v's where the pairs of arms meet and on the three pairs as well.
    It works. There was a small amount of play before I fitted them and none now.

My next job is to make a cooling fan bracket. Made a pet-g tool last night, the broom handle socket is pretty rough. But who prints pet-g at 75mm/s and no cooling fan ? lol
    It was also the first 0.2mm layer prints - no problem.
    So I'm wondering if I can print 0.1 layer height at 150 mm/s Now that could be interesting :-)

So as the fan fits on the heat block and that gets pretty warm, I've decided to simply get a thin sheet of metal, drill a few holes, bend it and attach a fan to that. Most of the deltas I've seen have a similiar arrangement with the cooling fan just held up and at an angle at the side.
    Seems pretty straightforward.
    Just need to look at the board and see if I need a three wire fan or a two wire job.
    Also check that standard computer screws will fit the holes in the heat block, as I've got no more of the bolts left.

Oh yeah i also made the simplest mod yet. a 20mm wide, 4mm thick, 100mm long bar that simply bolts onto a strut and you clip a webcam on the end.
    Gives me a pretty decent angle for build videos, no vibration so the camera doesn't wobble, and because it sticks out to the side, the carriage doesn't block much of the view.
    Still playing with best position, but works pretty well. Using the free version of video velocity for time lapse videos. Probably acquire the pro version at some point for hd recording. Very comprehensive and easy to use software. Pretty much the only limitation on the free version is that the video is limited to 640x480.

Camera mounted on top of the printer:

Using it side mounted:

And before anyone asks, I have no clue what make the webcam is. It was on my desk. Someone probably gave it to me as I don't remember buying it.
    Nothing special, but does the job.

I use wondershare dvd slideshow deluxe to make my final videos. Very easy to use while at the same time having pretty much every feature you could want.

I've just ordered a 25mm 12v 2 wire fan. The trick is going to be keeping it close to extruder. With the extruder at the full 200mm diameter the carriage is pretty much touching the rive belts. Going to have to think about this. Couple of available screw holes on top of the extruder carriage. Maybe a duct with small nozzle that comes down between the bolt holders on the carriage.

Got a busy long weekend so can't see my getting this done before next week.
    Plus fan might not get here till monday.

Thinking time :-)
    Last edited by curious aardvark; 06-22-2017 at 10:55 AM.